offer/wanted: sicilian/laying hens, Philadelphia PA area

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by zoeart, Nov 3, 2008.

1. zoeart

zoeart Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I have a beautiful Sicilian Buttercup who looks like she should start laying any day, but hasn't yet... I'm concerned that my coop won't be warm enough for her, and that she won't ever lay many eggs- I only have room for 4 hens, so I'd like all of them to be laying one a day.

So, I am offering her free, and I am looking for 2 laying hens, preferably red sex-link or similar, already laying, ideally under 1 year old.

I am in Philly, and will travel up to 30 miles in PA or NJ.

Thanks!
    Zoe.

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I'd love to take her... but I don't have anything to trade except partridge rocks who aren't laying yet.

3. zoeart

Jul 28, 2008
    Philadelphia
    fyi all, I don't need a direct trade- I'm happy to give the Sicilian ("Bella Pollastrella" is her name) to a good home, and get two good layers from elsewhere...

but Meriruka- how old are your Partridge Rocks, and where are you located? I'm mainly looking for good layers who aren't too much younger than the two I've got, so they'll acclimate to each other better ( my two are about 7 or 8 months old, starting laying in September)

4. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    The Partridge Rocks are just over 4 months old. They are every bit as big as my Red Stars, but not laying yet.

I live in VA, but make frequent trips to PA, grew up in Lansdale.

5. zoeart

Jul 28, 2008
    Philadelphia
    hm- any advice for me? would adding two 4 month old pullets to two 8 month old layers, of differing breeds, cause an explosion?

6. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    I think they will have to establish the pecking order no matter what.
    Anyway, I just traded them for Buff Orps, but if you are unable to find your girl a home, I can still take her. I'll be coming to PA this weekend and probably once more at the end of the month.
    Hope you find some hens the right age so they can keep warm, I sure don't miss the winters in Philly........

7. zoeart

Jul 28, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Meriruka- your PM inbox is full...

So, I think I should have you take Bella ( the sicilian buttercup) from me this weekend - I'll be sad to see her go, but I'll feel so much better knowing she'll have a milder winter to contend with! I've heard about their combs getting frostbite, etc. I would also assume that you have more space than me, and she definitely wants to roam more than I can let her!

So- email me to set up a time this weekend- Saturday during the day (any time) would be ideal, or Sunday morning.
    [email protected]

I'm located in West Philadelphia, near 48th and Baltimore.
    Zoe.

8. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Sorry. I spent what seems like hours clearing the PM box out...
    There has to be a way to delete more than one at a time.
    I'll email you.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by