Offered a Turken- any thoughts or advice for a newbie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nursemeh, Jan 4, 2010.

1. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    We only have room for 4 chickens( tiny backyard coop for a tiny backyard flock.) I have 1 BO, 2BAs and 1 RIR Rooster.

I finally found someone to take my RIR rooster and they have offered me a Turken laying hen in exchange. I am wondering, should I skip the trade and hold out to get a laying hen of another breed?

These Turkens are really strange looking. Will my tiny flock accept her? Will she lay enough eggs to earn her keep(well, she will lay more than that darn rooster , of course!)
    But, If I get this Turken it will eliminate my opportunity to get another laying hen, as we just have very limited space right now.

Do Turkens do better in a flock of other Turkens? Do they mix well? Do they lay dependably?

I have a feeling the lady taking my rooster is trying to get rid of an ugly chicken and sees her opportunity!!

thanks in advance for any advice!!

Mary

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Turkens lay a large nice egg and are actually very nice birds. I'd take the trade if the hen is healthy. [​IMG]

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes, Turkens are nice birds. They actually are dual purpose despite being 'funny looking'.. but many also have great or amusing personalities. Hens are good layers.

Turkens don't need to be with other turkens.. they are 100% chicken and will be treated like another one by your flock.

It is normal for established birds to "challenge" any new birds so there will be posturing and some fighting to see who's the boss.. and all will settle down once the pecking order is determined. It won't be because your hens are "hating on her because she's a turken".

I'd say go ahead for her if she's healthy too.

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have just one in with my laying flock and she has no problems getting along. She is just like everyone else. Her name is Big Bertha, she is so sweet. One of my more calm and friendly chickens. She and my brahma and BR and the best of friends. I just love her!

If she's healthy I'd say its a great trade.

5. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    thanks for the advice!!

6. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    They are bigger than average though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by