Offering hope

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jveef1212, Mar 12, 2018.

1. jveef1212

jveef1212 Chirping

Feb 11, 2012
    The last of our three pet chickens became suddenly I'll last week with a nasty respiratory infection. She couldn't stand, couldn't breathe, mucus dripping from her beak...all within the span of a few hours. I searched the forum for remedies, but was saddened to find most recommendations were to put her down.
    Betty was part of the family and I couldn't let her go without a fight.
    I started dosing her with TetraVet, electrolytes and a mixture of honey, cinnamon, molasses, apple cider vinegar and turmeric. With a syringe, I sucked the mucus out of her mouth. After three days, her breathing had improved. The following day she started eating again and the day after that she appears to be almost back to normal, except that she is still having difficulty walking, but that too is improving.
    She's a gorgeous 6 1/2 year old buff orpington who has been a joy in our lives.
    I just wanted to share and offer hope to others who may be facing a similar delima with their pet.

Attached Files:

chickenmeadow and Pigpie like this.
  2. Pigpie

Pigpie Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Amazing! I admire your dedication to your birds,as you said way to often it is recommended to euthanize which in most cases I strongly disagree with as I'd rather help my animal stay alive and get better then to just decide on my terms they've lived their lives . Glad you shared your story I'm sure it will help a few birds keep living then being let go of. Hope she has 100% recovery!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. jveef1212

jveef1212 Chirping

Feb 11, 2012
    Thank you so much!

4. chickenmeadow

chickenmeadow Crowing

Jun 14, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My Coop
    Good for you, it worked. Sounds like a simple recipe for healing. She's a beauty. Best wishes.

5. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing! Definitely adding a bulb syringe to my bag of tricks!

jveef1212 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: