Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
These arrived this morning! Im not going to be able to wait till the 10th to put them in so I
IMG-20201001-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20201001-WA0009.jpg
will end up with early Halloween chicks this time :)

View attachment 2356687My birchen marans eggs are here! I was hoping they would be a little darker but still hopefull about what they hatch

Maybe it's just because it's the end of their laying season. I've hatched lighter Marans eggs in the fall and raised the pullets. They laid nice dark eggs.

How do the White Rocks do for you? Lay well? Growth rate?
They lay similar to a barred rock. I have had three of 12 decide to make a run at being broody (they hatched in Feb). My barred rocks didn't do that, so far breaking hasn't been hard. The boys are bigger than my older Barred Rock boys, so I think the growth on the males is good. The boys are also well mannered, one attempted to threaten my boot the other day, but I picked him up for a chat, and now he as his brother is back to being kind and considerate.

Edited for one more thought: They are supposed to ignore winter as far as laying goes. I'm in N.Idaho so that will be an interesting test here in a few months.

They lay similar to a barred rock. I have had three of 12 decide to make a run at being broody (they hatched in Feb). My barred rocks didn't do that, so far breaking hasn't been hard. The boys are bigger than my older Barred Rock boys, so I think the growth on the males is good. The boys are also well mannered, one attempted to threaten my boot the other day, but I picked him up for a chat, and now he as his brother is back to being kind and considerate.

Edited for one more thought: They are supposed to ignore winter as far as laying goes. I'm in N.Idaho so that will be an interesting test here in a few months.
Good info thanks. Understand the roo situation completely. Had 2 that didn’t listen very well. Their sons are much better so far.

View attachment 2356687My birchen marans eggs are here! I was hoping they would be a little darker but still hopefull about what they hatch

That is about the same colour my Maran Coubray-? (not sure spelling) she lays, my Hybrid speckledy lays darker eggs than her
So following all hatch a long - maybe next year I may try

Back
Top Bottom