Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
I have a question for hatchers who candle. What kind of candler do you use?
I use a flashlight with 600+ lumens and the lens removed so the egg fits down in the bezel. Since most of my eggs are dark, I don't candle often and therefor a candler wasn't ever a priority but I may invest in one.
I use a modified flashlight also — not sure of the lumens. Not strong enough for very dark eggs, but that’s rarely an issue for me.

I use a flashlight with 600+ lumens and the lens removed so the egg fits down in the bezel. Since most of my eggs are dark, I don't candle often and therefor a candler wasn't ever a priority but I may invest in one.

I actually prefer my small sized high lumen flashlights over the candlers I've tried. At some point I did a comparison of some flashlights from Amazon since my old faithful was no longer available and many people have asked me what I use to candle. I don't alter anything on the flashlights, as a matter of fact I don't usually touch the flashlight to the egg but rather hold my hand around it to block light and hold the flashlight below, if that makes sense. The small size was a must to better hold the egg and flashlight in one hand while taking pictures...because I take a lot of pictures, lol. Candling images are of the same 2 eggs, a medium/dark Marans egg and a blue/green egg.
Prices may have changed by now, I did this earlier in the year. Sofirn is still my favorite and WUBEN is a close second though it's slightly larger in my hand. All have rechargeable batteries.

High Lumen Flashlight Comparison (1).jpg
High Lumen Flashlight Comparison (2).jpg

I use a Brinsea High Intensity candler with Ova Scope like this one. Brinsea
Not sure the lumens. I like that I can have both hands free and rotate the egg with ease. It does a decent job of candling my very dark Silverudd's Blue eggs. I can't see much but I can see veining above the air cell which is about all I would be able to do with any candler I think.

Brinsea Ovascope, if I remember correctly. I like it; it's portable, decently bright, and works for even small eggs like quail, which I hatch frequently.

Back
Top Bottom