Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
Wife texted me this morning to let me know power was off. I mentioned that someone probably hit a power pole as there’s no wind or other reason for the utility to shut down the power. Figured I’d check in at lunch to get generator going if I had to. No need the power is back on in our area.
As to the car hitting a pole yeah they did.

View attachment 2383163
Traffic in both directions of 80 still shut down.
I lost power this morning too, we must be neighbors. Power was only out for maybe an hour or two. Incubators got down to 93 before power was restored, so it might delay the hatch a little.

I lost power this morning too, we must be neighbors. Power was only out for maybe an hour or two. Incubators got down to 93 before power was restored, so it might delay the hatch a little.
Very possible as neighbors. That accident will be on channel 3 news for sure.
I run my incubator close to a degree warmer and it’s well insulated. Wasn’t too worried unless it went longer than 10:15 am as PG&E mentioned in their message system. Then the generator would need to be started. The electric goes out quite often here.

all my birchen marans eggs died.... I guess it was not a great sign that I could SEE into them to see that they were dead at this stage???
oh well still have some turkey, barnyard mix and quail going for halloween!
:hugs

I did our 14 day today, I am worried that the air cells are a bit small so I am running it 10% lower for the next couple of days. Everyone still alive amazingly enough! 7/7 babies, I am amazed at how good these shipped eggs are, I had expected a couple quitters.
Looks great!

Not normal unless it spent some time in the nest and there was early development from hens sitting on them. That occasionally happens or sometimes happens if ambient temps spend much time in the 90s.
Eggs kept at the same temperature can't have an embryo chop of several days from the time it takes the others to hatch.
If chicken eggs are turned frequently, kept at precisely 99.5F/37.5C and are from breeders with good nutrition, you can pretty much set your watch and calendar by the time and day they hatch.
Same goes for most other species.
Agreed. You might have a hot spot in your incubator.

Just wanted to share, I’m done hatching for the year (finally!) with a successful hatch of the 3 hedemora eggs that developed out of 6 that arrived The rough handling with our mail carrier made me hesitant to even try but since I really wanted a few more... haha. So here they are!

Justice: (spitting image of Verity, my original bird that triggered me buying more)
View attachment 2382884

Honour:
View attachment 2382886

Mercy:
View attachment 2382889

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 Now hopefully I’ve wound up with one cockerel out of these guys. Haha.
How adorable. :love
:highfive: :hugs

Yay for the great development! Those cells still look fine to me but a 10% lower humidity won’t hurt. I never see quite as distinct growth as the charts. They’re a rough guideline and you look ok for day 14 to me. I imagine you’ll find a more noticeable growth line at lockdown.
Thanks! Since everyone is doing so well I am getting bit nervous about them getting too big to pip correctly. I've been holding it at about 35% give or take and then at night bringing up to 45 before bed so it's about 28 when I wake up. It helps to know they look fine, I won't worry (quite :D) as much!

As this is my first time incubating/candling I'm having a hard time determining the status on some darker eggs... I'm unsure about these two. Day 11.

Marans:
PXL_20201023_031248951.jpg

Wellsummer:
PXL_20201023_031152161.jpg

Aaaand this one is donezo, but we're they twins?
PXL_20201023_030844795.jpg

Sorry If these are rookie Q's, but I'm a rookie :p

Attachments

• PXL_20201023_031248951.jpg
    PXL_20201023_031248951.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
As this is my first time incubating/candling I'm having a hard time determining the status on some darker eggs... I'm unsure about these two. Day 11.

Marans:
View attachment 2383778
Wellsummer:
View attachment 2383780

Aaaand this one is donezo, but we're they twins?
View attachment 2383782
Sorry If these are rookie Q's, but I'm a rookie :p
I generally leave all eggs I’m unsure of. Although those are looking clear for 11 days.
Do you know your humidity, the air cell on the donezo one looks a little small for 11 days. Maybe it’s just the angle of the picture
This site on BYC has good information about humidity.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

Back
Top Bottom