Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
Alrighty, last night was day 14. I'm unsure about this blue egg--I see a mass, but no veining. Thoughts, and TIA for all your wisdom :bow

View attachment 2388021

I would have to agree that it does look off. When in doubt I always do a sniff test to make sure it isn't a ticking time bomb and then I will mark the egg to check again the next day or in a couple days.

Alrighty, last night was day 14. I'm unsure about this blue egg--I see a mass, but no veining. Thoughts, and TIA for all your wisdom :bow

View attachment 2388021
If you can't see veins from any angle, I would guess there's a high chance it started to develop then stopped. If you have the space, mark it with a question mark (or whatever symbol you want) and give it a few more days and check again. Definitely do the sniff test though and toss if it smells bad. If it still looks like that at lockdown I would remove it.

If you are comfortable doing so, I suggest doing egg-topsies on any eggs you remove. Candle them at all angles before opening, so you can see what they look like candled, then carefully open from the air cell side and see if you can determine if it was infertile/partially developed/etc, so then you can match what it looked like candled to what it actually was. This should help for future hatches, especially if you take pictures for reference. There's probably a candling guide on byc already, but it helps sometimes to do it yourself so the knowledge sticks better.

I as always defer to the people that have done this many more times than I have, but I'm not seeing any blood vessels or vascular network and I would be worried about that. I might be off base, I am incubating some very easy eggs (white eggs), but it would seem like you would be able to see those by now? Here is one of my day 14 eggs, but like I said, it's white so it is really easy to see things in it.View attachment 2388027
I see veins.

Ugh you guys. Lockdown is making me nuts. I'm basically a broody hen right now! I feel like I can't be away for 20 minutes :rolleyes:. Newbie probs, I guess.
A broody hen doesn't get stressed as long as people don't harass her. She just sits tight with the occasional turning of eggs.
Just relax. They are growing and there is nothing to do now except make sure the temperature is right.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom