Official Buff Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jeremy, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'm interested in raising a few ducks, after browsing different breeds I've fallen for Buff Ducks.

Does anybody on BYC have Buff Ducks?
    What are they like?
    I love their color.

I've read they're considered dual purpose and lay reasonably well. How are their personalities?

Let's get this thread going for those of us who already have, or would love to include some of these beauties in our flocks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a pair of Buff duck, got them from Privett Hatchery a few years ago.

They live with the chickens and do very well, no fighting or anything. They are bonded to each other and not too fond of me, they are adorable in their devotion to each other. I can catch and handle them but they don't like it. Fairly quiet although the female (Mickey) can get loud if she's upset, she lays better than most of the chickens!

Mickey has nice color according to the standard but Drake has a dark head with a white ring around his neck. Not quite the color I was expecting but I think he is very handsome. You can find pictures on my BYC page. [​IMG]

I like them very much and would get more but ducks are so messy with their water I would want another set up away from the chickens.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I wish I still had my little buff hen - had the most personality of any duck ive ever owned [​IMG] I miss her so much. She was the BEST mama, and went broody on anything.

[​IMG]

She used to find the smallest bucket when ever i would change pools and jump in it for a swim. She was the leader, all the drakes would follow her around the yard.

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Goat_Walker, she's very pretty. I love the plumage of the Buffs. Where did you get your duck? Did you hatch her or buy her as a day old?

5. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    She was actually a rescue. My mom knew a lady who got a pair of ducks ( her and the mallard drake who can be partially seen in the pic ) and was letting them live in her pool. Well she got tired of htem and wanted to release them on a pond. when i heard that i swooped them up! she was my second and he my third duck ever. Sadly I lost her to a dog attack 10 months ago.

Ill try and get some more pictures up [​IMG]

6. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    Whoo-hoo! Go Buffs! Sorry. [​IMG] I am a big fan of Buff ducks. I'm really glad you started this thread, urbanfarmboi, because I think Buffs are one of my all-time favorite duck breeds. They were my first ducks, and I don't think that very many people have them here, but I hope that I will be proved wrong. Anyway, here are some pictures of my Buffs. Enjoy!

Notice the little off-colored mallard duckling in with the big guys!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about this one being a little dark, but it was on our old camera.
    [​IMG]
    And here's my big, handsome boy, Puffy. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Puffy's mate, Lollipop.
    [​IMG]

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:FANTASTIC pictures! I especially love the one of them walking in a row in the snow. I wish we had winters like that here in CA, I've never seen snow before in my entire lifetime! The broody mama picture at the end is also especially endearing. [​IMG]

Where did you get your Buffs? I like the look of your drake, he has good color. Do you ever offer hatching eggs? I'll be looking for them over the next few months, to next spring.

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Ooh they are beautiful!!! How loud are they? I mean is it block-your-ears-and-run loud or the usual quack [​IMG]
    I love their colours too!

9. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    Hey Jeremy, I just picked up 2 buff girls from the local feed store. They are about 2 to 3 months old and really pretty. I would consider a trade if you are interested. They are not easy to find. One thing, one of the ducks has a slight limp and a swollen toe. Get in touch if you are interested. Luke

10. Meralee

Meralee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2007
    Reno Nv
    I ordered 2 buff geese and got ducks so this is real new to me also. It looks like I may have 2 drakes as both have dark heads and I havent heard a quack out of either, so I guess I will need to look for a female to trade,so if anyone is in or near Reno,send me an e-mail. Meralee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by