Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Discussion in 'Sponsored Content, Contests, and Giveaways' started by BYC Project Manager, Oct 4, 2012.

1. sahagi

sahagi Chirping

Sep 25, 2012
    What a cute face with those whiskers and beard!

2. Brookliner

Brookliner Songster

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    My entry is Julia my Black Bantam Cochin Frizzle Hen for of course the "Frizzle Catagory" She should get a prize for the longest molt. She started molting in February continued to lay and didn't regrow her feathers until she went broody the beginning of August and stopped laying. I took the opportunity while she was busy with her 3 chicks to give her extra protein (she does love meal worms). My belief is that she didn't regrow for so long because she was putting all her protein into her eggs and not her feathers. Silly bird not knowing that you shouldn't lay eggs when you are molting. She is my favorite with her throaty voice and sassy attitude. I was almost ready to make her a sweater for the winter if she hadn't started to regrow.

[​IMG]
    Julia with one of her chicks on 9-5-2012. Her head would turn bright read at times.
    [​IMG]
    Taken 9-19-2012 starting to regrow feathers. She looks moth eaten here.
    [​IMG]
    detail of her wing taken on 9-15-2012. She had sticks for wing feathers. You can see the new feathers coming in.

3. sandmbaker

sandmbaker Songster

Jul 27, 2012
    Illinois
    OMG!!! That's poor ugly chicken!! Lmfao:lol:

4. Tricia5099

Tricia5099 Chirping

Mar 17, 2012
    Nothern IN
    no they wont not until the are about 18 months old

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  5. titanRX8

titanRX8 Chirping

Sep 16, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Here is my poor EE girl. She keeps giving me eggs instead of getting some new feathers. I think I may have to bring her into my garage to keep her warm this winter. Hopefully, she will get some feathers soon.

[​IMG]

Entering into the All Other Breeds category

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Melabella

Melabella Crowing

Jun 2, 2011
    OMGoodness! I am really getting an education here!

7. OH MY GOODNESS! She looks like she's a bit too "oven-ready" WOW!

2 people like this.
  8. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

In this case, I would definitely be tempted to knit her a sweater!

WOW. Winner right there. Can't imagine much worse!

9. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chirping

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    Holy Crap! Poor Chicken [​IMG]If I went out and my chicken looked like that I'd swear he was fixin to kick the bucket....nice to know this is normal.[​IMG]

10. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

I would say that girl is on the extreme end. :lol:

Never had a chicken that looked that bad (or good - because I bet she will win this contest :gig)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: