Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

hehehe, this pictures are funny! I'm with every other newbie who is thankful to have stumbled upon this thread.. glad to know molting is normal!

They shouldn't molt in their first year. Next summer/fall they will.
ETA: They do go through 2 mini molts before they get their adult feathers. You usually don't notice this though.

Oh! Mini molt might explain why one of our birds suddenly didn't have tail feathers for a short bit of time! I didn't realize they did that. I've been waiting for our girls to molt, but they were all hatched this year, so I guess we won't get to see that. I'll have to come back to this thread to get a taste of what I'm in for!

Here is my poor EE girl. She keeps giving me eggs instead of getting some new feathers. I think I may have to bring her into my garage to keep her warm this winter. Hopefully, she will get some feathers soon.

Wow. That's as bad as my favorite hens gets with too much attention from the roosters. Definitely time for a sweater or saddle. Poor girl.

Wow. That's as bad as my favorite hens gets with too much attention from the roosters. Definitely time for a sweater or saddle. Poor girl.

I have put a chicken saddle/apron on her and she always rips it off. I am going to separate her from the flock and put her in my garage soon. I just have to get a rooster out of there first - dang things keep fighting. She gets more attention from my hens who like to pick on her new feathers - sucks to be on the bottom of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom