Ended Official BYC DIY Contest #1 - Show us Your Project and Win!

Nice feeder Aart! Will you smear the trigger with something they like to train them to use it? I was wondering if jelly would work?

I've been kicking an idea around for a few months too, finally had a chance to throw my nest box prototype together today. I wanted a REVERSIBLE egg roll out and this is what it looks like so far.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...t-box-with-room-for-trap-later-prototype-only

This is only one set of two nests, in my coop they will be stacked three high (times two) on each side of the trailer/coop.

Hope someone can use this
roll.png
I was just thinking today, about this contest, hoping we'd see some interesting nest box designs and ideas
thumbsup.gif

Nice feeder Aart! Will you smear the trigger with something they like to train them to use it? I was wondering if jelly would work?

I've been kicking an idea around for a few months too, finally had a chance to throw my nest box prototype together today. I wanted a REVERSIBLE egg roll out and this is what it looks like so far.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...t-box-with-room-for-trap-later-prototype-only

This is only one set of two nests, in my coop they will be stacked three high (times two) on each side of the trailer/coop.

Hope someone can use this
roll.png
Thanks Chipper....no smear, I just show them a few times, same as with the water nipples, they catch on pretty quick....once one of them gets it the others will figure it out.

Love the reversible rollout nest concept... cardboard prototyping can save alot of wood, one of my favorite design tools.
I'm a little confused about the height of the inside of the nest, have you completed and tested the nest yet?

Thank you. I just added some more photos to the article
:rolleyes:
Inside height above ramps is about 11" right now. I Tested it a few minutes ago with a few boiled eggs, was I ever glad they were hard boiled! Too fast at 2", so when I get back to this I'll try 1 3/4+ -.
For trap nesting I think MANOZ had less than 6", (don't have those notes handy right now) entry height, and I don't want them standing up (and pooping on eggs) so it is a little lower inside the nesting area than some designs.
I Don't have a test chicken anymore :confused:

Thank you. I just added some more photos to the article
roll.png

Inside height above ramps is about 11" right now. I Tested it a few minutes ago with a few boiled eggs, was I ever glad they were hard boiled! Too fast at 2", so when I get back to this I'll try 1 3/4+ -.
For trap nesting I think MANOZ had less than 6", (don't have those notes handy right now) entry height, and I don't want them standing up (and pooping on eggs) so it is a little lower inside the nesting area than some designs.
I Don't have a test chicken anymore
hu.gif
Chickens actually stand up partway when they lay and they need some height as they get settled, might want to go at least 14 high.
Course of you lower your pivot point that will increase height inside a little bit.
No chickens to test design once it's finished?!?!?.

I'm really diggin' this thread! So much so, I thought I'd share a few of mine.

First is my laying boxes. Very simple in design and easy to keep clean. I just built a frame to hold 5 gal buckets but made it so it can be moved and the buckets slide out the back so they can be hosed out if there is ever a big, nasty mess. Hasn't happened yet but I'm prepared if it does!

Next I made a perch that is on wall hinges so that when I want to clean out the DL bedding I can swing it up & chain to the wall.

The feeder I have inside the coop is made from a galvanized feed pan and a 5 gal bucket. Drilled big holes in bottom edge of bucket, put in pan, filled with feed. Walla, auto feeder!.

Lastly, I couldn't keep my stinkin goats from squeezing through the chickens door into the coop and eating their feed. Since too much grain can founder rumanids, I needed to find a way to prevent them from entering. Basically I made a ramp inside the coop that made an immediate 90 degree turn to the right. The goats can stick their head in but cannot maneuver the tight turn into the coop yet even my Jersey Giants have no trouble! It also keeps my turkeys out, which is great cuz I have an elevated house & perches for them.

Back
Top Bottom