Official BYC Poll: Crumbles, Mash, or Pellets?

Which feed type do you use?

• Crumbles

Votes: 344 57.8%
  • Mash

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • Pellets

Votes: 288 48.4%
  • Other

Votes: 71 11.9%

• Total voters
I sometimes have several age groups over here, and at that time I feel it's easier for the younger one's to swallow the crumbles. I do however prefer using the pellet's as the ant's can't carry them off as easily. Either way, any of it can also be used as wet feed for them too, as we get extreme heat in the summer over here. I do the wet feed as sort of a treat for them because they love it and it helps to keep them better hydrated.

Question--how big are pellets, typically? I always feel like if I were a chicken, pellets would be harder to swallow than crumbles. But maybe it is just me. I know many people use pellets.
They seem easier for the chickens to eat to me. Crumbles is, in essence, very large dust. They seem to have a hard time scooping it into their beaks. On the other hand, the pellets they can just peck up a couple at a time. Just my experience. I've used crumbles too, and they work well enough. It just takes them longer to eat it. Truth be told, I generally just use pellets 'cause that's the kind of chicken food I reach first at Fleet Farm.
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom