Official BYC Poll: Crumbles, Mash, or Pellets?

Which feed type do you use?

• Crumbles

Votes: 344 57.8%
  • Mash

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • Pellets

Votes: 288 48.4%
  • Other

Votes: 71 11.9%

• Total voters
I've never tried pellets or mash, but crumbles work well for me. My hens get a mixture of Scratch & Peck, and another more standard layer crumble.
@BantyChooks Will you please add this one.
Hopefully no one uses it. :oops:

I think a clarification in terms is needed.

My feed store labels Scratch & Peck a whole grain mash, so to me "mash" can be whole grains or ground down powder-y stuff.

My personal opinion is there's no reason not to use whole grain mash as long as you're aware that birds can pick through it and pick out what they want. Serving it fermented is ideal, or at least wet, in order to get the fines (the powder containing the vitamins, protein, etc) to clump to the grains.

All that said, I marked everything above (not helpful I'm sure!) As I currently have chicks I have crumble (Payback Hatch to Hen) and mash (Scratch & Peck Grower) on hand. I dry feed crumble all day, and fermented mash in the morning, so it works out to about 50/50 of each type. Once the chicks are old enough to lay I switch to layer pellets for the dry feed, at same ratio.

I have no preference.

The chicks are, of course, getting crumble chick starter but I'll buy either pellets or crumble when they are old enough to need something beyond that according to availability, suitability, and price.

I don't cater to picky children -- expecting them to eat the good food I provide for them and not working as a short order cook unless hired for the job and paid for it. I certainly won't cater to picky livestock.

I'm hoping my chickens like pasta, I made a whole big pot, and home made sauce. The guests I invited, cancelled 10 minutes ago. So it's just me and the chickens tonight. Their loss! :( :hit:hit
The chickens loved it! went crazy swallowing pasta! A little treat once in a while never hurt them.

I'd much rather use crumble for all my birds, but it's almost 2x as much as pellets so I have to switch between crumbles for bantams and my quail and pellets for my standards
If I buy higher protein food then it is a good bit higher, but if buying the same protein content crumbles and pellets are the same price.

If I buy higher protein food then it is a good bit higher, but if buying the same protein content crumbles and pellets are the same price.

My store definitely makes you pay for thwirnwork turning pellets to crumbles. It's like 9.99 for pellets and 15.49 for crumbles, both 16%

I think a clarification in terms is needed.

My feed store labels Scratch & Peck a whole grain mash, so to me "mash" can be whole grains or ground down powder-y stuff.

My personal opinion is there's no reason not to use whole grain mash as long as you're aware that birds can pick through it and pick out what they want. Serving it fermented is ideal, or at least wet, in order to get the fines (the powder containing the vitamins, protein, etc) to clump to the grains.

All that said, I marked everything above (not helpful I'm sure!) As I currently have chicks I have crumble (Payback Hatch to Hen) and mash (Scratch & Peck Grower) on hand. I dry feed crumble all day, and fermented mash in the morning, so it works out to about 50/50 of each type. Once the chicks are old enough to lay I switch to layer pellets for the dry feed, at same ratio.
I prefer to wet it.
The fam, however, think it is gross and wasteful, for reasons beyond me.
But in my opinion it wastes less, because when feed is on the ground it gets scratched away and ignored.
I have not noticed my birds picking through it. They seem to like it all equally. Minus the cracked corn.
My birds dislike it. And I'm fine with that.

I feed crumbles because I like to feed my LF chickens a feed with 18 to 20% Protein.
So I feed all ages after 10 weeks old a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower crumble 18% or a All-Flock crumble 20% if it's on sale.
Chicks get a Medicated Start and Grow crumble 18%.
20200612_195245_resized.jpg

After 15 weeks old, I offer Oyster Shells separately for the Calcium Layers need. 20181214_095753.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom