Official BYC Poll: Crumbles, Mash, or Pellets?

Which feed type do you use?

• Crumbles

Votes: 344 57.8%
  • Mash

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • Pellets

Votes: 288 48.4%
  • Other

Votes: 71 11.9%

• Total voters
Pics
I am keeping ducks and chickens. The duck feed is Purina flock raiser which is a crumble. The chicken feed.....:hmm....I was using an all flock but recently switched to a layer feed for a few reasons....
The all flock I could get was Nutrena. I was not happy with the level of powder in the feed. I also have 4 birds that are higher producers and were/are having shell issues even while going through a high volume of oyster shell.
The layer feed I am using now is also Nutrena but is pellets. In just a month I have seen improvement in the shell quality even if it is not 100% better yet.

Choosing which feed to buy for your birds can be a complex process with many variables, and today we would like to hear your opinion on one of these. Which feed texture/size do you prefer? Vote in the poll above, and reply below if you wish with the reasoning behind your choice.

View attachment 2288750

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I use crumble Scratch and Peck for the chicks and as they have gotten older I mix it with Nutrena Pellet. They did not like switching brands when my order of Scratch and Peck was late and I had to get Purina from TSC. It was high quality I think. I mixed it in gradually over time with their Scratch and Peck when I got it in and they ate it up just fine. As I have introduced the pellets slowly it has gone okay. I want to use them totally if it goes over well in the winter in one of those treadle style feeders in case I have to keep them indoors a great deal. Their run is fully covered so they can go in and out but we get lots of cold rain and they may not like it who knows. So I want to be able to have their feed inside in one of those with pellets in it for more uniform weight and less mess and waste. At least in my mind that makes complete sense-!lol! It might not to anyone else!🙃

I use crumble Scratch and Peck for the chicks and as they have gotten older I mix it with Nutrena Pellet. They did not like switching brands when my order of Scratch and Peck was late and I had to get Purina from TSC. It was high quality I think. I mixed it in gradually over time with their Scratch and Peck when I got it in and they ate it up just fine. As I have introduced the pellets slowly it has gone okay. I want to use them totally if it goes over well in the winter in one of those treadle style feeders in case I have to keep them indoors a great deal. Their run is fully covered so they can go in and out but we get lots of cold rain and they may not like it who knows. So I want to be able to have their feed inside in one of those with pellets in it for more uniform weight and less mess and waste. At least in my mind that makes complete sense-!lol! It might not to anyone else!🙃
What I meant is I want to be able to keep the food enclosed and dry inside the feeder not the birds inside all the time. I just want to be able to move the feeder with ease in and out of the coop and run also with no mess as needed and also not have to fill it everyday. I have disabling medical conditions and anything to lessen the chore load helps.

Sounds exactly like my setup to a “T”. The Babies calling and all. I have nine 2 to 3 I am guessing pound feathered babies! Lol!
Lol!! What else are we supposed to do with that food right ?? It’s either sold in a tiny bag that’s empty in a week or a massive bag that could feed a flock of 20..doesn’t seem to be a happy medium there haha :lol:

Lol!! What else are we supposed to do with that food right ?? It’s either sold in a tiny bag that’s empty in a week or a massive bag that could feed a flock of 20..doesn’t seem to be a happy medium there haha :lol:
Exactly you can’t afford to waste it. It’s hard to find also in these times with the pandemic. I have often got to go to two or three feed stores to get what I need in regard to feed or grit. They can’t keep it in stock. Everyone has started keeping chickens more than others realize. Amazon and Chewy especially Chewy can’t keep it. I have kept a six week order of Scratch and Peck coming in with my large bag of dog food from Chewy just to be able to have some on hand as a back up in case Amazon ran out. I have a local store who sells the Nutrena pellets but I have to check with them weekly to double check their supplies because they run out shortly after they get stock in. Their feed manager says he cannot keep chicken or pig feed longer than two or three days. Especially layer feed and starter crumble. He will keep scratch grains and whole corn etc I can find that but that’s not what I use. I might add that in winter as a energy boost at night only but as only that.

Attachments

• Resized_Notes_200702_190514_1a5_1_111875779810550.jpeg
    Resized_Notes_200702_190514_1a5_1_111875779810550.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 9
What I meant is I want to be able to keep the food enclosed and dry inside the feeder not the birds inside all the time. I just want to be able to move the feeder with ease in and out of the coop and run also with no mess as needed and also not have to fill it everyday. I have disabling medical conditions and anything to lessen the chore load helps.
I keep my feeders in the coops all the time. During the day the poultry can come and go in or out as they choose. At night the coop is closed.

Back
Top Bottom