Official BYC Poll: Do You Keep a Rooster?

Do You Keep a Rooster?

• Yes, just one

Votes: 132 24.8%
  • Yes, more than one

Votes: 250 47.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 61 11.5%
  • No, but I used to

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • What's a rooster?

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • No, but I intend to in the future

Votes: 44 8.3%

• Total voters
Pics
I have 1 roo, 1 cockerel (his son), 1 hen and 6 point of lay pullets (pullets are all Roos daughters)
I wasn't going to get a rooster because I was worried he would attack my kids but I gave in after my Silkies kept going broody wanting to hatch babies. I got this boy 5 months old for free and he never has attacked any person although a bit skittish. He's very watchful and good to his ladies. He has made a few hens happy last Spring :jumpy

IMG20200923104642.jpg
IMG20200909105142.jpg
IMG20200923105310.jpg

My property owners association just began looking the other way on chickens in 2018- mostly because several of us, including the POA president's partner, quietly acquired a few hens. The bylaws haven't been changed though. I'd love to have a rooster! It's ridiculous, each of our 20 members has at least 6 acres and no one can see their neighbour's properties! We're in mountainous, old growth, temperate rainforest surrounded by millions of acres of wildlife refuge and Natl Park. One rooster in a few member's coops wouldn't be a huge amount of noise pollution!! Plus, we have a very large number of predators: Black & Brown bears, cougars, bobcats, wolves, coyotes, Bald Eagles, etc. A rooster would make the hens a bit safer, wouldn't it? My cat and the Stellar's Jays wake me up at 5:30 every morning - a rooster could just join in chorus! šŸŽ¶ :gig

First rooster in a while, actually.
Bruce is non aggresive, pretty quiet, he usually only crows about 5:45 am and once again in the afternoon. He's very good to his gals, though his mating dance has all the elegance of a Clydesdale having a stroke. Or maybe an old timey weightlifter (with the handle bar mustache, you know the one) tap dancing.
Screenshot_20200925-224346.png

My property owners association just began looking the other way on chickens in 2018- mostly because several of us, including the POA president's partner, quietly acquired a few hens. The bylaws haven't been changed though. I'd love to have a rooster! It's ridiculous, each of our 20 members has at least 6 acres and no one can see their neighbour's properties! We're in mountainous, old growth, temperate rainforest surrounded by millions of acres of wildlife refuge and Natl Park. One rooster in a few member's coops wouldn't be a huge amount of noise pollution!! Plus, we have a very large number of predators: Black & Brown bears, cougars, bobcats, wolves, coyotes, Bald Eagles, etc. A rooster would make the hens a bit safer, wouldn't it? My cat and the Stellar's Jays wake me up at 5:30 every morning - a rooster could just join in chorus! šŸŽ¶ :gig
Do you live on the peninsula?

Back
Top Bottom