Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 241 16.5%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 103 7.1%
  • Once per week

Votes: 307 21.0%
  • Once per month

Votes: 177 12.1%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 178 12.2%
  • Once per year

Votes: 60 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 374 25.6%
  • Never

Votes: 20 1.4%

• Total voters
Pics
My whole system is setup so that I don't have to do daily cleaning
Mine too. I am in the 4% who said once a year cleaning. Dirt floor, deep litter. It smells like compost, I clean out once a year or so and put it in the garden. Roll out boxes with no nest material. If I had to clean it every week I would not have chickens.

I'm in Camp "Whenever It Needs It". With baby chicks I'll clean the brooder out once or sometimes twice a day, but once they hit the run it pretty much composts itself so I don't mess with it too much other than to cover it with mulch periodically when the chickens dig it down too low. That with some activated charcoal and planting a bunch of fragrant plants around the area pretty much takes care of the smell.

I do like to change out the nesting material in the coop a few times per season too, especially if someone goes broody and starts pooping a lot up near the nest boxes or roosting area.

It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I eventually will build them a bigger coop. I am putting a garden fence around the whole thing. I was told to leave poop and all in there about a year. I add new pine shavings in there once a month and toss it around.

I eventually will build them a bigger coop. I am putting a garden fence around the whole thing. I was told to leave poop and all in there about a year. I add new pine shavings in there once a month and toss it around.
Also I'm concerned for keeping them warm in the winter. What does everyone do for this? This last winter we got down to -6 below which we have never had. Luckily I had no chickens yet. So I need some education on this!

It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

I put in some stick on floor tiles and wow, it made it so much easier to clear it out.

I take an old dustpan and brush and scoop out the poop in the coop every day - leaving the dry straw behind. That goes on the compost heap. I currently have 5 mixed hens two of which are newbies and they stay down in the run at night to keep them from bulling. They all free range as soon as i let them out - so there isn't too much poop to scoop!!

I would say once per week or more often if needed. I sweep off the plywood under the roosts and clean out any nesting boxes that might have poop. I try and discourage them from sleeping in the boxes, but I have one hen that likes to try my patience.

I only have five hens and a large well ventilated coop (about 8' X 50') with a concrete floor. I will scatter some wood shavings and then sweep it out and collect the shavings for the compost pile. The shavings seem to help while sweeping.

Back
Top Bottom