Official BYC Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Coop?

How often do you clean your coop?

• Every day

Votes: 244 16.6%
  • Twice or more per week

Votes: 104 7.1%
  • Once per week

Votes: 308 20.9%
  • Once per month

Votes: 179 12.2%
  • Twice per year

Votes: 180 12.2%
  • Once per year

Votes: 61 4.1%
  • Whenever it needs it

Votes: 375 25.5%
  • Never

Votes: 20 1.4%

• Total voters
Pics
Please tell me what kind of sand? I'm so confused. I have read to use the sand used in kids sandboxes, I've read no, not that kind. Also, is it a good insulator. I am on Long Island in NY?
I live in waaaaaaaaay-Southern Ohio where the humidity level is never below forty-five percent. We get a LOT of rain, snow, and dense fog, so it’s always wet. And we have sand in the coop and covered run. We buy ours by the 14-ton dumptruck load from the local quarry. It’s natural, washed, coarse grain, river sand. You’ll want to look for coarse grain sand with lots of different sizes. It should look like this:
344AFDE4-2907-4BD2-8936-965E1F29C19D.jpeg

As long as it’s in the shade, it stays cool in the summer. In the winter, it’s the same temp as the ground, except in the coop where it feels a bit warmer. I use a long handled wok skimmer to scoop poop. Takes me about ten minutes, twice a day, to keep up with twelve big poopers.

Whenever it needs it really! Maybe one a month ?? I have a pretty large coop. I use nesting box liners that I get from Amazon. They are really nice and last a couple months so I just change out the pads when they get all poopy and scrap their roosting bars and shovel the poop from the coop floor.

I voted every day because I clean the poop trays daily. But a full coop clean happens as needed, which seems to be about every 3 months. I’m using deep litter for Winter so currently, I clean the poop trays, the rake the litter and top it off as needed.

It's not a pleasant part of keeping chickens, but it's one we must all deal with regardless: poop. How often do you clean your coop out? Don't include pens in your answer, just your coop or coops. Do you find it easy or difficult to clean them out? What changes to your coop design or technique would you make to improve the process?

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Every day exactly! Never miss it.

Thank you all for the input. As I am redaing through this I now have morw questions. Currently I am spot cleaning the makeshift coop I am using until the permanent one is finished. Then i change out the bedding weekly.

This brought me to my question of deep litter vs deep bedding. I will now have to do more research as I am in South Florida and trying to decide if the new coop will have a floor or just the sandy ground.

Back
Top Bottom