Official BYC Poll: Why Do You Have Chickens?

Why do you raise chickens?

• Pets

Votes: 803 77.3%
  • Eggs

Votes: 921 88.6%
  • Meat

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 314 30.2%
  • Pest Control

Votes: 292 28.1%
  • Exhibition

Votes: 79 7.6%
  • For Resale

Votes: 98 9.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 10.5%

• Total voters
Pics
We have one standard-sized rooster, but he hasn't started crowing yet, so all of my adult roosters are bantams.
Zapraska has a rather hurried cadence to his crow, starting with one short note before segueing into two quick notes that end in the briefest of pauses before his final, clipped note.
Lefty's crow has the first three notes close together, the second and third notes practically running into each other, and the fourth and final note is drawn out for about a full second.
Both of them have very high voices. I like them both, but I can't wait until Eclipse, the standard-sized cockerel, starts choking out his first crows... so cute!

I sorta rescued my original flock of 18 bantams in July 2015. Their original owners lived in city limits, my son was their employee doing maintenance for their home, rentals and stores plus caretaking the chickens at their house. I told them through my son if they ever had to or wanted to rehome them, let me know. In the meantime my son stopped caretaking them and working at their home due to a second job. So about five months later my son calls asking if I wanted them but they would cost $500 for everything (3 coops, 24 or so chickens and all accessories). Luckily, I had the money so I paid for them. Now the sorta rescued part is where my son didn't provide care for them, the owners hadn't either other to give some food and water when they remembered to. My 2 sons upon arriving to start dismantling everything found disgusting conditions, several dead chickens, several hundred uncollected eggs in nests and on floor, chickens crammed into a 4'X8' area and 6-8" deep poop for them to walk around in and poop in nests. Everything had to be hosed down and scrubbed. They brought me the 2 smaller coops, chickens and cleanest accessories right away. There was supposed to be at least 24 chickens but was only 18 including a crossbeak Showgirl who was scrawny at 12 ounces. I didn't care. I was just happy to give them a safer, cleaner and a loving home. I lost over half the first few months but the crossbeak Showgirl survived and gained with TLC. Since, I've lost all with the crossbeak Showgirl (1/2019), another Showgirl (1/2020) and a Cochin (7/2019) living the longest. In 2017 I started raising a variety of standard breeds and crossed bred chickens plus ducks with the bantams, now I only have standards and ducks. I miss my bantams, especially the last 3, I became very attached to them. My last bantam, the Showgirl got her photo chosen to be in a 2019 issue of Backyard Poultry magazine.

They are my pets, spoiled at that. I have some people who buy their eggs, some eggs I give away to family and close friends. They also were given access to the garden to fertilize it for this years plants.

Photo is them breaking up the ground in the garden area for us.

20200429_145602.jpg

I'm an Other. I have chickens primarily because in the suburbs of a very metropolitan city they make me feel grounded and happy. And it's not just me. Anyone who hears that I have chickens -- and the word spread FAST -- has a big smile on their face when they ask about them. My grandson also gets to see life happen -- both the births and the deaths.

It's part of the same thing as planting a veggie garden and baking bread: it reminds me of what life's all about and that I can make it manageable and productive and that I'm responsible for the quality of my life.

Plus, I like knowing that when we enjoy the eggs they came from chickens who have the best life I can give them.

Rooster crowing helps me sleep? Why isn't that on the list? Chicken vocalization really tells me so much about my local environment.

Who here hasn't run out of the house in their undies at 3AM because the chicken told them to do it?:th

Don't know about running out of the house at 3AM but my back fence neighbor had chickens. When I was outside gardening I really enjoyed his girls' conversation. I found myself hanging at the back fence just to listen to them clucking and singing their egg songs. That's when I knew I wanted my own!

Plus enjoyment. I have a ridiculous fondness for the sound of a rooster with a pleasant crow.

I enjoy the sound of my roo (even at 5AM) and I'm lucky -- since we have small 1/2 acre lots in my suburb -- that my neighbors have learned to love/tolerate him too. But my roo has a silly crow. After he lets go, he finishes with an inspiration that sounds like a broken squeaker on a dog toy. It's really pretty funny.

PS He doesn't know my husband and I are laughing at him when we visit the coop. Wouldn't want to hurt his feelings by making him think he's less that utterly fierce. :lau

I checked everything except pest control...but they do love the mice pinkies in the barn.

Other because I enjoy conserving a dual purpose Heritage breed. Mine are Columbian Wyandotte. Meat and eggs from these are wonderful and the hens lay thru the winter supplying my extended family with plenty.
Two point of lay pullets and one of three breed pens.
View attachment 2159836View attachment 2159837

Fertilizer for my fenced garden..no birds allowed inside. Composted clean outs from the hen house and brooder room as well as the cattle manure and hay makes a wonderful mulch for the raised vegetable beds and flower beds.

Exhibition...on the list because showing was to begin this year, but shows were canceled due to Covid 19. Maybe later.

Resale... Not to supplement an income, but to expand the number of people who enjoy the Columbian Wyandotte. Selling hatching eggs and day old chicks gives buyers a good start.

I have hatched over 400 chicks so far this year. Strictly selecting chicks for future breeders as the chicks grow out means those not selected will go into neighbors' layer flocks or freezer.

You have a lovely flock!

My adventure started with a friend ordering chicks and asked if I wanted to get some also. I figured.....what the heck I’ll give them a try, that was the beginning of my serious case of Morehens disease 😁. I just love beautiful my beautiful birds. They are my therapy when I’ve had a rotten day at work. I talk to the girls and they talk back with their own little clucks and coos and other funny little noises they make. I replenish my flock by hatching my girls eggs. They provide roosters for the freezer in the fall and new layers. I sell eggs to help pay for their feed.

Lol, "Morehens Disease," I love it! :lau

Back
Top Bottom