Official BYC Poll: Are Chickens Easier or Harder To Raise Than Dogs/Cats?

Are Chickens Easier or Harder To Raise Than Dogs/Cats?

• Less work than dogs

Votes: 142 61.7%
  • Less work than cats

Votes: 67 29.1%
  • About the same work as dogs

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • About the same work as cats

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • More work than dogs

Votes: 33 14.3%
  • More work than cats

Votes: 80 34.8%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Many of us keep dogs, or cats and many have kept one or both before we took the plunge and started keeping chickens. Some say that chickens are more work to raise than other pets and vice versa. So, we're curious to hear how you all think chicken keeping compares to keeping dogs or cats.

Try your best to keep this an "apples to apples" comparison. For example, keeping 5 chickens will be different from keeping 20 cats as keeping 10 chickens will be from keeping 10 dogs.

This isn't about the direct "costs" of raising the animals, but about the amount of time, worry and effort. Consider:
  • Getting everything set up for the animal(s)
  • Frequency of health problems
  • General care (feeding, housing, exercise, protection, etc.)
Place your votes above, and please share your thoughts in reply to this thread. :highfive:

official byc poll (3).png

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

I think that chickens are less work than dogs because they don't have to be walked, poop-scooped, socialized, and trained. You *can* do some of these things if you want to, but you don't *have* to.

It's about the same as cats because you have to manage their litter at intervals, feed and water them, and let them in and out. *Maybe* the daily egg collection makes it a little more work than an all-indoor cat, but at least you get eggs instead of hairballs. ;) 🤣

Given appropriate space and facilities, chickens manage their own social needs just as cats do in a multi-cat household. Cats might be a little more trouble if you only had one and thus had to provide for all it's social needs, but I've never only had one cat.

Overall, I think chickens are less work than dogs or cats.
Getting everything set up: Our dog was the easiest. We kept her in a small area of the house for a few weeks until she learned to ring a bell to let us know when she needed out. After that she had the run of the house. The chickens needed a coop and run built, but that was a one time thing :)lau ok, not really once you factor in chicken math). I feel like we are constantly cat proofing the entire house for the cat. She can get anywhere and puts everything in her mouth. "What are you doing", "what are you touching" and "stop eating that" are her nicknames.
Frequency of health problems: If you compare individuals, chickens are the easiest, closely followed by the dog and then the cat (see "stop eating that" above)
General Care: Technically, the chickens are the easiest. I only need to feed/ water them and clean up the poop boards in the morning, then I can forget about them the rest of the day. I often do more with them throughout the day, but I don't have to. The dog needs to be fed twice a day and walked/let out several times a day. The cat needs to be fed twice a day and requires constant vigilance to make sure nothing is left out. No crochet projects left on the table for a few minutes, no cardboard Amazon boxes left out (she doesn't play in them, she chews on them🙄 ), no hair ties on the counter while getting ready in the morning, no unrinsed dishes left by the sink... It is a struggle for someone who HATES housework😂 It is a good thing we love her😉

I sure feel like I work a lot harder raising chicks/chickens. Maybe its because I've only had them about a year and the extra effort it is taking me during the learning curve. Ive had dogs and cats all my life and I already know what I'm doing with them, so they feel easier to me. When I think of all the needs of chicks vs kittens/puppies, kittens and puppies are easier to me. I'm thinking your experience level may influence how you answer this.
( 🐣 chirp, chirp )

I've never had cats (babysat some, but that doesn't count) so only answering for dogs.

Setting up for dogs is faster I think, at least I've never had an issue just taking home a dog at a moment's notice (twice I've called my husband at work and told him to be ready to go to the shelter to meet and potentially pick up a dog). Assuming the dog is indoors they really just need somewhere to sleep and some sort of container for food and water on the very first day.

My chickens have had far fewer health issues than the dogs. Full disclosure, I don't take the chickens to the vet so everything is taken care of at home.

Feeding chickens and dogs is about the same amount of work (put food in bowl).

Setting up chicken housing and cleaning/maintaining it is more time consuming than with dogs, but they "need" me around much less than the dogs, so the time I spend cleaning or maintaining the chicken area is enough time to keep the flock tame to me as well. My dogs need a lot more exercise and a lot more adherence to a schedule (2 walks a day, 5-6x out a day) and obviously are a lot less happy if there's not humans around, so they certainly need me around much more than the chickens.

It depends a lot on how you keep them and how/where you live.
  • Barn cats that go outside for the toilet are a lot easier than domestic cats with a litter box.
  • Chickens that free range in a smart coop with an auto pop door and nipple waterers are a lot easier than chickens in a small coop and a run that needs daily cleaning.
  • I have little experience with dogs, but the way my mama kept dogs was a lot easier than most people do. She had female poodles (3 times in a row) so there where no dog hair to clean. If the dog barked at the door. The dog could get out on her own (living in the country).
But even so, IME one dog is more fuss/work than 2 cats or a small flock of bantam chickens.

Back
Top Bottom