Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Old/Retired Hens?

What Do You Do With Your Old/Retired Hens?

• I retire them to garden duty (munching on bugs, fertilizing my soil, weed control etc)

Votes: 72 38.5%
  • I keep them as pets allowing them to live out their days

Votes: 141 75.4%
  • I sell them

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • I rehome them/ give them away

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • I use them for brooding

Votes: 30 16.0%
  • I process them for the pot

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • I humanely cull & dispose of them

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • My hens die before reaching "hentirement"

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Chickens begin laying eggs at about 18 to 20 weeks of age (some breeds later). Chickens that are healthy lay eggs most reliably in their first two to three years of life. There will be a decline in egg production after that.

In this poll, we'd like to find out what you do with your chickens that have completely stopped laying eggs due to old age.

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

Official BYC Poll What Do You Do With Your OldRetired Hens.png

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
When my in-town flock quit laying I processed them to eat. Retired laying hens are the very best soup birds.

This flock will probably not get to that point because I'll probably either sell or cull for the pot the hens that reach their second molts unless I have a particular reason to keep them -- such as breeding them back to their sons for flock improvement, their being good broodies, etc.

Mine live out their natural lives here. They are pets and entertainment before anything else, so none of them go to the pot or up for sale.

I will say, it takes a loooong time before they completely stop laying. Yes, they slow down significantly to the point where if eggs are important to you then it's understandable not to keep them, but it's more of a trickle to a stop than a complete halt one year. For example, I got a whopping 2 eggs from one of my 11 year olds this year, and my 6 year old Dorkings are laying almost as well as they did when they were half that age. The only older ones not laying at all are the ones who struggle with arthritis or other ailments of old age, and the Cochin bantam girls who have been broody for almost 3 months solid now. :rolleyes:

We're fine with them living out the rest of their lifespans as free loaders. I can't eat that many eggs anyhow, so having birds slow/stop laying is just an excuse to plan for more chicks. :)
I'm with you RMT. Although my first 5 are only 16 months old and in their prime, i guess I dont know what I'll do yet, but i do know one thing; I adore my flock 🐓❤️

Attachments

• 5CB6C1DE-7844-4C40-B9B1-3948B908A28E.jpeg
    5CB6C1DE-7844-4C40-B9B1-3948B908A28E.jpeg
    933 KB · Views: 20
Mine live out their natural lives here. They are pets and entertainment before anything else, so none of them go to the pot or up for sale.

I will say, it takes a loooong time before they completely stop laying. Yes, they slow down significantly to the point where if eggs are important to you then it's understandable not to keep them, but it's more of a trickle to a stop than a complete halt one year. For example, I got a whopping 2 eggs from one of my 11 year olds this year, and my 6 year old Dorkings are laying almost as well as they did when they were half that age. The only older ones not laying at all are the ones who struggle with arthritis or other ailments of old age, and the Cochin bantam girls who have been broody for almost 3 months solid now. :rolleyes:
Same here. I get too attached to get rid of them.
It seems to be a common misconception that hens completely stop laying once they reach 4 years old or so. I still get plenty of eggs from my four 5 1/2- and 6 1/2-year-olds during certain parts of the year.

When my hens stop laying, I just let them live their lives the same as always, without culling them. Life is pretty much the same for them. They eat, drink, take dust baths, squabble over grubs, and get lots of love from me. ❤️ I let them live as long as possible until the time comes for their spirits to fly to heaven.

Back
Top Bottom