Official Distance Riding Thread

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by michickenwrangler, Jul 23, 2010.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    A few others on here have mentioned distance riding, so I decided to start a thread for it.

I compete in UMECRA sanctioned competitive trail rides, which is basically endurance where you can't sponge your horses! We ride at a very fast pace. I have 620 cumulative miles which is kinda low compared to others who have 2-3,000 miles. My horse is an Arab/Saddlebred cross and we do quite well, usually placing in the top 3. I don't compete as much as I would like to.

Who else out there does distance riding? Endurance, competitive trail, ride & tie or CMOs?

Here's my mare Izzie and I on Michigan's Shore to Shore Trail on a conditioning ride with a friend
    [​IMG]

This is Izzie on the Bay de Noc-Grand Island Trail in MI's U.P.
    [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I do not know how many miles I officially on the trails pleasure wise but hundreds I am sure.

For me with my Pasos, I only covered 30 miles on two different horses that was held by an Arab group that sponsored the trail rides. My Pasos had earned a point each. It was pretty exhausting and I loved it but now I am older, I am more relaxed and enjoying the trails.

I dont have horses anymore but I would not mind riding a bit. I have not ridden since my scatic nerves acted up and was afraid to ride again.

3. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Got my first competition of 2011 this weekend in MI's UP.

Only doing 25, but it should be fun!

4. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    This is something I know nothing about but would LOVE to learn about. I am in my 60s and my partner is 70 this year. Because of his COPD, arena riding is pretty much out of the question now--too much dust--but we used to compete in cutting and reining and I would love to find an alternative that we could both participate in.

Can you point me in some helpful directions? We are in Alabama.

TY!

Rusty

[​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You can go trail riding for pleasure at first. I love trail riding!

6. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Quote:We already do that. But there is no incentive to get our butts in the saddles daily without some sort of competitive aspect. We both need to be working toward some goal in order to stay motivated. Too many years of competition, I guess.

[​IMG]

Rusty

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    sometimes some events do have senior endurance riding. Not sure which one would have them in your state. They were having a blast doing it as well as their horses.

8. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:We already do that. But there is no incentive to get our butts in the saddles daily without some sort of competitive aspect. We both need to be working toward some goal in order to stay motivated. Too many years of competition, I guess.

[​IMG]

Rusty

Google SEDRA: South Eastern Distance Riding Association

or www.aerc.org

9. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    That aerc site has a LOT of great information on it. They really do answer every question and even suggest a few more than I hadn't thought of!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

10. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Glad it was helpful.

Just got back, came in first out of 15!!!!!!!

My old gray mare ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be ...

Nope! She's BETTER!!!! [​IMG]

Understood the competition aspect completely Rusty, I'm a very goal-oriented Type A personality. Why trail ride when you can COMPETE at trail riding? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by