1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Official duck Mom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Nov 16, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    Now that I am officially a duck mom- & fairly new to the game- what are some things I should always have for my lovebirds. (Other than the essentials food, water, shelter.) Should I stock any kind of medicine, vitamins, anything really??1

2. BekahsChicks

BekahsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    I'm still learning to but one thing I have stocked up on is Frozen Peas! my babies LOOOVVEEE them I toss them in their pond and they will dive and chase them down its so cute to watch (one of these days ill get a video hehe). Being our first winter way up here (compared to South Texas where we came from) I have no clue how bad winter will be and am prepared to go weeks with out going to the store hehehe and also I found they are in the top 10 of foods with most Niacin that is really really really important so its a double plus.. :) I'm going to be following for more tips :D

3. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

Awesome! I will try them! Keep me posted if you find anything else!

4. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    @BekahsChicks where did you say you moved too??

5. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    South Western Virginia

*edit - I see your location listed, i googled it.. Im like 4ish hours north (ish) of you!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  6. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

Ok! Well it doesn't get too terribly cold around here. We're still considered "the south" it rarely snows or even drops below freezing! I know y'all are use to TX. But we don't have brutal winters here! So that's a plus! Lol.

7. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    It's good to keep a bottle of some kind of wound spray on hand. There's several different ones that people like, I personally have Vetericyn because it's what I was taught to use on my horses, and it works for poultry as well. I also keep a few rolls of Vet Rap on hand, which I've never used for either the horses or birds, but just in case I need to wrap a wing or leg or something, I'll be prepared. Otherwise, I don't keep medicine, but did research electrolyte recipes on here, just in case I ever need it; I always have those ingredients on hand. I've had good luck with my ducks though and haven't needed to doctor them so far.

8. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia

Electrolyte recipes? Please share! :)

9. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia

Lol well this weekend they are saying we may get snow flurries and the high Sunday is currently forecasted at around 35! for the HIGH and the lows in the lower 20s Friday/Saturday/Sunday... that's crazy lol !!

10. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by