1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Official Introduction

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlivianAcres, Dec 2, 2012.

1. AlivianAcres

AlivianAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Elizabeth Colorado
    Our 7/8 wk old pullets have been in a sepaerate coop/run next to the grown chickens for a bit and today we free ranged them together. Our rooster was the only one of the grown chickens to come out and investigate. He mostly let them know he was top dog by pecking their necks if they got too close...an occasional chase....our baby barred rocks were both picking fights...with the roo and the hens through the fence...is this strange for BRs? I thought they were generally docile. They love being held and getting attention but sure were strutting their stuff. I think we are a long way from full integration but its a step in the right direction.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

A successful intro![​IMG]

3. AlivianAcres

AlivianAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Elizabeth Colorado
    you think so ? :) YEY! I was a bit nervous about the way it went....its my first time mixing flocks!

4. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

As long as the youngsters are not forced to always be in close proximity with the oldsters, you should be fine.

Come to think about it, it's just like human behavior [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by