Officially giving up on sexing chicks!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gritsar, Jul 18, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I did so well sexing my now adult brahmas. Had them all sexed correctly by 5 weeks old.
    Now I have 31 chicks in the brooder, 18 meat birds and 13 layer chicks. If I go by my original assumption I only have 4 cockerels out of the 18 meat birds and I don't think anyone can get that lucky. I think some of the meaties are cockerels incognito.
    That leaves me with the layer chicks to sex. All are supposed to be pullets, but I know for sure that one of the turkens is a cockerel. But wait! Another one of the turkens looks "roo-ish" but not quite as roo-ish as the definite roo.
    Then there's the salmon faverolles. I was told black on the chest is male. One has the black on the chest, just developing. Were the sexers at Ideal just having a really bad day??? So far both of the speckled sussex and the two EEs look like pullets. The silkies I go back and forth on. The one named Jethro I decided was a male from day two, but yet he follows my turken roo around while the one that is suppose to be the female "Ellie Mae" avoids the turken cockerel. So maybe I have those two mixed up. [​IMG]
    So when could you tell without a doubt on these breeds: speckled sussex, turkens, salmon faverolles, easter eggers and silkies?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have a hatchery faverolle with lots of black/really dark blue on her chest. She's definitely a girl though. If you're really in doubt try the faverolles thread.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks. That's kinda what I've been telling myself - that these are hatchery birds and I should take that into account. Everything else about the bird in question screams pullet.

4. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    My speckled sussex hen crowed at 10 weeks...
    [​IMG]

Two of my 6 sexed pullets turned into roos. The EE and the SS. I'm still worried about my Golden Laced Polish at 14 weeks. She has a clean face, absolutely no red, but she has saddle feather...

Good Luck, I understand your frustration!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, post some pics of them!

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I will as soon as I can. Right now I'm not spending too much time outside with them. It's too hot for me and too hot for them to get all stirred up from me chasing them down with a camera. Maybe when they go out to free range in a bit.
    With the meat birds you could look at one pic and say that's definitely a cockerel (due to the size of the comb) but then when you see the ones with the super gigantic combs, you'd be second guessing yourself.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by