Officially-Who are the best layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by desertgirl, Apr 9, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I'm sure this has been done before, but I couldn't find it....

In your very esteemed opinions-which breed are the best layers?[​IMG]

2. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Our one year old RIR and BSL give us about 6-7 a day out of 8 hens. We were given 2 dominecker hens that give us 1 every other day or so between the two of them (of course we don't know how old they are).

I'd like to hear the input also, I've got ameraucanas in the bator - and I don't know a thing about them. Good egg layers? Small/Large eggs? I was given the gift of 28 eggs and they were in the bator w/in 24 hours.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've only heard of a few hatcheries that carry them...

They are Hy-Line Silver Browns.

Prolific Producer, Medium sized eggs, Rich Brown Eggs, Heavier mature body weight

Hy-Line Silver Brown is the world's most prolific egg layer. She produces over 330 rich brown eggs to 74 weeks, peaks in the high-90's and begins lay early with medium egg size. These traits combined with a heavier mature layer weight, excellent livability and a robust adaptable temperament; give the Hy-Line Silver Brown the perfect balance, in both alternative production systems and intensive production systems.

Hy-Line

I have a Cinnamon Queen (red sex link) that gives me 5 to 6 eggs every week.

My black star hen gives me 5 a week as well as a RIR and a Barred Rock. All good layers.

I had a pearl white leghorn that did pretty good, but she's slacking off lately... only getting 3 to 4 per week from her now. (but they are JUMBO and she is my tiniest hen)

4. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i have to say that my RIR reds are the best they lay the biggest brown eggs. and they lay everyday i have buff orpintings and dominecker and they are not constent layers

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    In my esteem, the hands down best, breed layer are Austrolorps.

Mediterraneans like Leghorn lay as well, or even a bit better, but can be hard to live with. The A-lorp is a dream.

At one time the Austrolorp was the best layer in the world. It's even had postage stamps issued in it's honor.

But today there are also the many hybrids, lumped under the term "sex-links." Hatchery brochures are full of lurid descriptions of their laying ability. Take them as advertising hype.

From this you will see there is no one best layer. Too many variables exist to say for sure one is absolutely better than another. Aim instead, for proven laying and 200 eggs per year, or more. That is considered excellent for any but the most highly bred specialty bird.

6. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    i had a 100 leghorns one time years ago. I got 90 to a 100 a day. Had them in an 8 x 12 coop (no run) .

7. RRT114

RRT114 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Pittston, PA
    Quote:Well that sounds ethical!

8. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    Quote:Well that sounds ethical!

To each there own but thats still more room than a production hen gets !

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Keep in mind that egg laying is seasonal, and there are molts and other "non-laying" times. No chicken lays all year round, all the time like clockwork.
    Thats why egg laying is normally reckoned on a per annum basis.

===============================================

Be wary of the "egg a day" standard. We want it to be so, but chickens have a mind of there own... not to mention a physiology that precludes it. That standard is unsustainable, long term.

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Good point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by