1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh, baby that body!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Ok, so I love my chicks. I've *ahem* slipped into the slightly-obsessing catagory.

So.. I have a bizaare <maybe> question for you all. Someday I'll post pics.. but for now you chicken sexing experts, here's my question:

Are their different body shapes for boys vs. girls? All of my chicks except one are shaped like footballs. That one chick is shaped more like a baseball. Is this a hint at all? They are three weeks old, and this particular chick (a barred rock) is one of two that feathered out really late, his feathers are about 50/50 black and white. His comb is the same size as the others of his breed, and I can't tell if his legs are thicker (two of four barred rocks had lighter down, three had badly defined head spots, this one though is lighter, and shaped differently.) Wattles are just barely starting, and are on all four chicks, so not much of a clue there.

Anyone know a website that gives pics of chicks at every week until things become obvious?

-Meghan

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Quote:In theory, those would be boys.
    I'm not sure if that answers you in any way.
    I think mine are all footballs though. haha

3. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Btw , you have me beat on the chickens, the dogs and the cats but I have you beat on the children and we tie on the guiiinea piiiig

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Goodness, they were all supposed to be pullets, I hope 3 of 4 aren't cocks instead! :eek:

LOL! I'm working on it!

5. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    how old were they when you got them?
    I'm no sexing expert, just read alot about sexing them.
    They show pics of ones that fool the novice and they definatly fool me so...

Someone else needs to hurry up and answer this post cause right now its just me and I dont think i'm qualified haha
    Ohh the pressure...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Br chicks may differ in color slightly much like cuckoo marans. Males will be a little more grey. Wing barring is often better defined.

7. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    My BR rooster was a little lighter in color than my hens. I did not know anything about it when they were chicks, but that is the way it turned out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by