1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Oh boy, first traumatic coop drama!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kiwiheather, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Kiwiheather

Kiwiheather Chirping

Aug 20, 2011
    The backstory.......well I resuced 2, two week old baby chicks in August from a bad situation.Never had any chickens or experience whatsoever. From the photos and great help here I figured out I had a Cochin bantam and Mille fluer d'uccle ? Sp?? Anyway, in October, both "hens" started to crow [​IMG] Figuring I should at least get some eggs out of the deal (after my hubby built a beautiful coop and run) 3 weeks ago, I got from a friend, two barred rocks, a partridge and pretty black hen that were about 2 1/2 months old (from macmurry mixed she raised from babies). I started finding feathers in the coop but thought since the boys had heavily feathered legs, the girls may be stepping on them and pulling them out unaware. ( I did mention I am green)The other day I let them out as usual to free range and my fat little Cochin attacked the other roo so violently I was scared! He kept chasing him into the bushes and grabbing his comb and shaking him, he wouldn't let him up and he cowered in the brush with his head on the ground. In hindsight I can remember that he hasnt been letting him get treats (worms) from me either.. I am so sad because they were such buddies from one week old and I thought is would all be fine,,I ended up taking the outcast boy to my friend that had an extra coop and will put a few girls in with him..the flock of 5 seems very happy now. I had read that bantams don't need as many hens per roo but apparently mine did! I wanted to let everyone know my experience in case it could help someone. What a learning curve this whole ride has been! I have had such amazing help on this site and seriously could never have taken on the challenge of chickens without the wisdom and the kindness I found here. You all are my chicken heros [​IMG]

2. Kadjain

Kadjain Songster

Poor little roo [​IMG] From all the rooster stories I read or heard about having multiple roos I always thought you could only have one per flock. My neighbor with about 35 hens had two roos and although they free range, one banished the other from returning to the coop at night. The dejected roo had to find new shelter in the horse barn.
    I have 23 hens and 3 roosters and my roosters get along great. I've never even seen a fight between them. They even wing dance towards each other. Although they will always take the opportunity to disturb another roo while mounting a hen if they can run across the field fast enough.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by