oh boy I can't wait...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scattered, Jun 22, 2010.

1. scattered

scattered New Egg

Jun 22, 2010
    but I have to I think. I live in Ontario, July is almost here and I don't plan to over winter chickens so...
    Next year, what do I do? So much to do before I get chickens, snow is deep in the winter so I want to start this fall. I have a small yard, in town...small being 60'x60' with a house on it. We have a closed in yard with maybe 20'x40' space to run. I really don't want many birds but enough to give us a dozen or two eggs per week. Ideally, if there is such a thing as a quiet chicken/hen/rooster that would be best as my neighbor is the right hand to our conservative part leader. I will keep after the poop to keep orders at their lowest, composting it and using it in our gardens. Any little help wold be great, I have yet to read what you smarty pants have written already in the forums but am heading there now.
    I want it fresh, organic, and local and that just isn't easy or cheap around here

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] from ct.!

3. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, that's a lot of variables but I'm glad you're taking the time to work it out! You've found the ultimate chicken website -- welcome and good luck!

4. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a perfect place for you to learn about raising your flock. Preparation saves time, money and heartache. I live in a very mild climate so can't help you with the weatherproofing of your henhouse. I can advise you for less than a dozen eggs a week, get just a few hens. Three is perfect! They'll be tame and good pets as well and layers. Best of luck and [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by