Oh, boy...I think it's on the way!!!! EDIT: She laid!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ester, our first Easter Egger, started squatting for me last week. A couple days ago, I noticed her checking out the laying boxes. Today, she's been in the box on 5 different occasions, and right now she's been in there for nearly 30 minutes. Can't wait to see what color we'll get!!! C'mon Ester!!!

P.S. Yes, my wife named her "Ester" the Easter Egger, to help me remember her name, LOL!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    How old is she? We have a new EE named Easter. Because she is so happy and social and bright! She is 18 weeks and I've noticed a few changes in her.

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    She's right around 20 weeks. Unfortunately, she has left the laying box again with no egg. She's quite the tease!

4. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Good luck to her! Keep us posted.

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Woot! We knew she was close. She spent some time in the laying box again today, but no egg. Hrm...

Then, my eyes scan the run, and what do I find???

[​IMG]

We don't know if she laid it there, or one of the others found a way to bring it out. Not sure why she'd spend so much time in the laying box the last few days, and then lay her first egg in the run. Very weird. Is this normal?

Anyway, the egg was laid only about 30 minutes ago, and it's already in our belly! Here are a few more pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, to get her to lay in the boxes, LOL...

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    How exciting! I'm still anxiously awaiting the first egg from my 7 pullets who are 21 weeks old today!

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh yes - I forgot to mention that your first egg is the most beautiful color of blue! Wow!

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:We wondered what color we were going to get. I know to get a real good blue, they say typically it has to be pure bred Araucana (sp?). Either way, we're very happy!

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Can it be normal that she laid her first in the run, even though she had been investigating and then sitting in the laying box the last few days?

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Absolutely normal..alot jo my first timers do it for about a week then they catch on..your egg is so blue because its a puller egg..as she ages the blue will fade a tad and the eggs will get bigger:) congrats its really pretty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by