Oh Boy Neighbor Dog Dig The Bad

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dieselgrl48, Aug 10, 2010.

1. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Well I have lived here for a little over 6 year's now.We got introduced to our neighbor's dog trixie a couple month's after We moved in.She is an Aust. Shepard.The owner had gotten her as a pup apparently and had her a couple year's before We got here.She started coming down and was a great dog.We had pig's and a few chicken's at first and a few duck's.Over the years she has been sooooo awesome around all of the bird's.She basicaly stay's all day summer until cold month's during day and has been around all the brooder's chick's buyer's duckling's everything.She goe's with me to feed goes in the coops lay's on the porch just hang's out.But this past weekend I had a silkie that hatched out 6 on the ground chicks a couple week's ago im brooding one because it was a late hatcher. Anyway the mama has already gotten the babie's coming from her coop to outside.We heard peeppin loud Sat. and thought maybe one of the young had gotten away from mama yep right to trix! She had slobe's all over it luckily DH got it in time!.Today I graduated 8 chick's 2 silks and 6 OEGB's.I went out about 2pm and heard loud peeping again so I figured one of the hen's babie's had gotten mis routed again.It was in the alleyway between the coop's and I was in the coop pen area.Trixie was right on the peep and shot out like lightning.Before I got to back yard [​IMG].The little black silkie had found a very small hole in that pen and got out. There wasnt much left but eye's and fur!I was never so angry!.Why is she doing this now? I hate to think she will turn into a bird killer she has been here with literaly Hundred's of them over the year's. [​IMG]
  2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm so sorry. It could be that the chick reminded her of a 'squeaky toy' or some other predator instinct kicked in. No matter how much we want to believe that our dogs would never do that, it is always a possibility. Find some way to make her understand that the chicks are 'yours'. Sometimes you can train the dog to only eat when you give them a command to eat. Hope it all works out for you...
  3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sorry for your loss,

She has decided they are toys, my aussie found a dead baby duck after momma duck left the nest with her hatch i caught her tossing it around and rolling on it ,then she decided to play keep away with me.

It is possible that the chick was already dead, most of my dogs bring dead animals to me when they find them, so just because they have them does not mean they killed them, watch her see if she tries to play with them again,have the water hose ready and if ya catch her blast her butt with the water, she'll get the idea, the water hose has worked wonders here for years and getting the point across without hurting the animals in question.

I guess what i am saying if ya didn't see her kill it and she has never been a problem in all these years, it is possible she did nothing wrong or made a mistake as dogs sometimes do just like people.

4. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    We had dingo/blue heelers (australian cattle dogs) growing up, they are my favorite type of dog. However, we did have one that killed a few of our chickens and this was after she had been around them for several months with no incident. We cured her by tying a dead chicken to a rope and then tying the rope to her collar, after a week she never bothered the chickens again. Those types of dogs are trained to bite the heels of cattle and when chickens run from them they try to do the same thing but they can end up killing the chicken.
  5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    is she in pups or nursing a litter at the moment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by