1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Oh boy....never thought I'd post to this area!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Land of Lost Toys, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    We need more chickens! I started with 4 nice barred rocks last year and wonderful eggs by all until.... a few weeks ago we had one just keel over from a chicken heart attack? who knows. Then this past week, we have one go broody. So, I just got back from a neighbor's place with a dozen hatching eggs...a variety of them - barred, white plymouth, americana, and golden buffs. Figured that we needed more chickens and I might as well take advantage of the broody one. We'll see what happens! Wish me luck and pray they all aren't roosters!

2. MelissaA

MelissaA Songster

Dec 7, 2009
    Gaston, OR
    Congrats! Come and join us over on the ***JULY HATCH-A-LONG come join in*** by save the favs thread!

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    WE call it chicken math [​IMG] Incubators start it and broodies keep it going good luck be sure to join the July hatch a long

4. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    Since I'm using the broody hen, I need to mark the eggs. What do you guys use...pencil...or what? These are the only fertile ones so I need to make sure to keep them separate from my regular eggs which are non-fertile.

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I use a sharpie it doesn't come off and I can see it when it is dark..I know people say pencil but I can't see it good enough

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by