Oh boy, new chicks hatching from the chicken coop, 1st time parents!

chicken mamma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
North Texas
Hey Everyone. Its been awhile. Well on March 23rd I let one of my bantam hens set on 3 eggs, I put the date on them and just let her and them be. I hadn't really been keeping track of how long ago that was and to be honest I didn't really think it would work, so I hadn't really made a plan. Well then today happened. I went to collect the regular eggs and noticed that one of the laying eggs looked as if it had been stepped on. So I picked it up and was going to take to to my husband (figuring it was dead) and let him take it up to the vet he works for. Well then it started to move around!! and peep!!
jumpy.gif
So I took it back to the momma hen. And now we have an ugly (but still cute as could be) little white chick, and I we both had to go back to work.

DH got on the phone with he boss the vet and the vet said to aid the baby chick and remove some of the shell....
hide.gif
and so thats what he did, even though I said I know the byc would say other wise. So I'm hoping everything works out. But y'alls input would be appreciated and I'm hating being up here at work. I'm hoping that maybe the other 2 will hatch. I didn't even realize that today is 21 days exactly. biting my nails at my desk....

erin

aww I know, I'm really worried because he did remove a large part of the shell based on the vets orders
rant.gif
...like he knows anything. So I'm nervous that... well you know. But I will hope for the best.

since he did remove the shell, what is the likely hood that the chick will survive. I leave work in about 30 minutes and should be home 10 after 5. This is driving me nuts.

well I didn't have my camera but the first little chick made it just fine...so far. We have no idea what it is, who it came from, or who its daddy is, as we have mixed bantams and standard size. But it is a a light silver color. I went to check on them last night and there was a second chick and its a little black and red one. I am waiting to see if the 3rd egg hatches. This has been such an amazing process. To go from something we didn't think would work to so far a great success. We are proud of our chicks. Our first generation chickens lol.
bun.gif

Wow, good for you. We had some of our own hatch back on march 5th and 7th, and they are doing great now. Isn't it amazing to see the transformation from egg to ugly chick to fuzzball, and wait you will see the akward age of feathering in...

Good luck, Kycklingmamma

Just an update here. We had another one hatch yesterday, but we had let them stay with the mother the first night and unfortunatly the black chick has come up missing, so at this point we have them in a brooder. This was so different this time. Actually watching nature unfold instead of just picking them up at the post office. I don't think that we'll be buying chicks anymore...knowing we can "make" them ourselves. Thanks to all of you for your well wishes.
yippiechickie.gif

congratulations having ya chciks....im a first timer aswell..my banatam sat on three eggs and like yourself wasnt sure when she actually started to sit...two weeks ago we had our first two chcks hatched and then two days later the third hatched...and they are doing well with their mum, ive just let nature to its thing

any pics of your lot

Back
Top Bottom