Oh boy oh boy oh boy I got my fix!!! (Q about bantam chick eggs)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 13, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG]

So, I really really really planned to put my incubator away. Really. I cleaned it up really good last night. Set it to dry. Began considering where I should store it.

And then: My kids & their friends found a nest in the straw stack. Apparently, our neighbor's banty hen has been laying there, and there were six little eggs. So adorable!! We took five, hoping she would continue to lay there if we left one (the neighbors said this was fine with them).

And, of course, now I have to incubate. [​IMG]

So, now I need advice: I've only incubated duck eggs before. I know chickens usually take 21 days to hatch, but what about bantams? Their eggs are SO tiny--wouldn't they fill them up faster? Do they hatch sooner? I don't know the breed--they are the neighbor's chickens, and there are three of them--two roosters and a hen. The hen is brown, one rooster is white, and the other is the sort of all-american colored rooster (like a Welsummer, for instance). They are pretty standard in shape, but half the size of a standard chicken. Any thoughts? Yeah, yeah, I know pics would help--but the chickies haven't been over at our house today so we're out of luck.

I'm off to read the stickies on hatching chicken eggs before I set these. The incubator is warming as I type.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Hi Cat. Although this is my first time incubating, from what I've read, you hatch banties the same as standards. What I can say for sure is even though the eggs are very small, so are the chicks. When I saw banty chicks in the store this last spring, they were tiny-looked like quarters with legs [​IMG] , and they had to have been a couple days old at least.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Awwwwwwwww [​IMG]

I love banties! They take 21 days - I have had some hatch a day or 2 early, but treat them the same as standard eggs.

4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you!! The eggs are so adorable. I can only imagine what the babies are going to look like. Even the grown-ups are cute as all get out.

I know the babies need a steadier temp--will they be all right the first few days with just a brood lamp in a 78-degree room? Or do I need something better for banties?

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are supposed to take 21 days, like any other egg, but many of mine hatch days 19 and 20, even when the hens are sitting them.

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I am really hoping they'll hatch on a Fri, Sat, or Sun--so the little girl who fell in love with them can be here. So this is good, actually--they went in the bator last night, so 21 days will be a Sunday, but if they hatch early it will be a Friday or Saturday.

I think my thermometer measures low, because my first two hatches were a day and two late, and when I tried to calibrate with a medical thermometer (challenging, so I didn't get a clear reading), it measured a degree lower (approximately). BUT, my hatches were reasonably successful (60-69%), so I don't want to mess with anything TOO much. So I turned it up a quarter turn, about half a degree, and we'll see how this hatch goes.

Thanks, guys!

7. natchlaly

natchlaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    Hi, I recently hatched bantam eggs along side my standard eggs in my incubator. i ran my temp at 99.5/101.5 at the top of the egg and humidity at 40% for first 18 days then 60/70% last 3 days. All 7 of the hen eggs hatched and 14 of the 17 bantam eggs on days 19 and 20. hope this helps, good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by