Oh boy tomorrows another "what to do about the unhatched eggs" day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L0rraine, May 22, 2010.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I just hate them. [​IMG] One pip - no zips. I couldn't resist and did a quick assessment. Very faint scratchings ... NO PEEPS. And I really am a total incubator novice, but my LG has been ALL over the place -- even if one chick did manage to hatch out of the blue last night, things can't be good for the two late eggs. I was happy (thankful) for the little miracle chick last night though.

No need to reply - just being exasperated out loud. [​IMG]

2. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    Scratching is a good sign, means they are still trying to hatch. What day are you on?

3. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I confess I don't know exactly. These were eggs abandoned by a broody bantam cochin (though originally laid by my Silkie). There were only three eggs. One chick hatched last night (when I wasn't paying attention, of course, :). The incubator has been all over the place, because I wasn't exactly prepared, so I didn't hold out much hope, and has been opened twice (albeit very briefly) since the one chick hatched.

4. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    Have either of the other eggs pipped yet? IE cracked the shell at all? If so you may end up with shrink-wrapped chicks from opening the bator, otherwise you should still be ok. What type of incubator are you using? If it is portable what I do when I need to open it during "lockdown" is take it in the bathroom and run a hot steamy shower for awhile to get the humidity up. That way you don't blow the whole humidity balance when you open it (it does happen instantly and can take a while to get the humidity back up after). I would give them till the morning to make a crack (that insures they will continue to get oxygen), if they don't by then I would get that bathroom steamy and check to make sure they are still alive and follow the instructions to help a hatch. I am no good with computers so I can't figure out how to put a link but there is a sticky in the incubating and hatching section that tells you in detail what to do to help hatch them.....

5. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Well the waiting and worrying is over. The one with the pip, zipped and hatched this morning bright and early. The remaining egg pipped, zipped and hatched all within about 1 1/2 hours immediately afterwards. Both chicks resting heavily. Seems like when one does everything right, that hatches can still go bad and when one does everything wrong, a few determined chicks can still find their way into this world. I'm wondering if there are some that are just hardier and more resistant. Seems I've had lots of bad luck with my duck eggs (and some good luck too), but this is my first experience with chicks and I got three out of three.

[​IMG]

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] I am so very happy for you [​IMG] Raising three is so much nicer than raising a single.

I use an LG - with a fan. I keep the LG in an interior closet to help reduce the room temp. changes. An LG cannot/does not deal well when the room it is in heats up and cools down. They are picky but seem to work fairly well for me, I do battle humidity issues when I have to bump it up for lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by