OH CLUCK!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tenfairytoes, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tenfairytoes

tenfairytoes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    I had a hen disappear and I found her nesting. It was about 2 weeks. Now it's about hatching time by my guesstimate. I spotted the hen out yesterday and then today but she goes back the eggs naturally. Today my 7 year old, bless her heart, saw the hen and thought she was saving it's life by putting it back in with the rest of the chickens. CLUCK! I noticed it hours later when I went to pen them up and went OH why are you in here. I raced to the eggs COLD. Ditch effort I collected them put them on a nest in a cage and put the hen in with them. Nothing doing it's over. So I bring them inside and put them on a heating pad sitting in and OFF oven with a bowl of hot water for humidity. (yeah I am a nube and I feel so bad for the chicks) Blue laced red Wyandottes I am dying with them! My first ones! I found an incubator should I get it or is all lost or should I continue with this tactic I have going? I candled them they look good she had a LOT of eggs under her. Too many. 4 not good after candling.

2. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    did you see any movement? She wouldn't sit back on the eggs?

3. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    She pecked the egg, but she was not interested anymore she seemed to integrate back into the flock like it was nothing. When I put her into the separate hen house where she laid her eggs she just didn't go near the eggs. I don't see any movement in the eggs I can see an air sac but the rest of the egg is dark.

4. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    OOH OOH I have movement in 3 YAHOO I turned off all the lights in the house and with the children in bed I could concentrate and YAHOO

I an see one's foot going like crazy HOW CUTE IS THAT!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  5. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Hmm. Tough decision any idea what temp u have onthe eggs? If I could keep the eggs between 98 & 101 I would do that, give her the 4 infertile and pray shes sitting in the morning.

6. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    Temp I have no clue heating pad on High with rice warmers around that just to keep the warmth from the heating pad. Would a Heat light work better? I am so excited to see that little guy's foot and I think there are 2 more with movement but my eyes are failing me I just may be willing my eyes to see it in those 2. 3 out of 5 is not bad.

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    So what happened with the hatch?

8. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    Sadly I see no movement I am keeping them warm just another day or so just in case. I have started my incubator search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by