Oh C'mon anybody want a broody 'scovie

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

Dusty has been on a few eggs each morning, but usually gets off before barn chores are done, so i take the eggs.. this morning? HA this lady has buried herself right in and still not left...

I do NOT want any babies... heck, it's still winter this is beyond a dumb time to even try... so now i have to spend my day on operation egg steal..

I quit. [​IMG]

2. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    wonder what goes off in their brains to make them confuse the seasons

3. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    You can't quit. Isn't she, like, your only girl? [​IMG][​IMG] I think your screen name fits you aptly today. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

Mine sit at night at first and then start during the day. I do have 2 setting now but I need some ducklings.

Its the weird weather we've been having. I know you are probably still in the dead of winter. We had snow (no acumulation) a few days ago and now its 60*F. I kind of feel bad for the poor ducks, what season must they think it is? Cold, warm, cool, freezing, warm. Here it changes every 2 days or so.

Maybe you can sit her down and explain that you don't want ducklings even if she thinks it's a good idea. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Probably the odd warmish day, we've had a few despite then plummeting back to freezing. [​IMG]

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, she's one of 8.. i only got one ducklet last year from the hatches BUT i don't want to roll that dice again, i seem to be the drake farm [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] sure, 'cause a broody duck is soooo co-operative! 60F! omg, mine would go bonkers! were still negative and some nasty nights and wind chills.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm trying to be strong when it comes to my girls this year, They are not going to be happy with me when I keep taking the eggs, so far no one has started getting interested in sitting although quite a few have started to lay. It seems the weather plays no part in their decisions. Just whenever the mood strikes as you are seeing GQ [​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    yeah, i am seeing this is going to be a battle considering it's starting already. I grabbed the eggs later yesterday when i brought the chickens in(the chicken pen is inside the fenced area of the ducks) Although I am sure she'll be positioned back on a new set this morning. Heck, were getting a big storm tomorrow, i don't see why she doesn't understand this is NOT spring lol

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by