oh crap!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saildog, Jan 1, 2013.

1. saildog

saildog Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    well i discovered a hen had set up a nest in the woods and i figure it is day 10, ......i fretted over what to do - lots of predators here and decided that it was unlikely she would survive another 10 days out there without being food for someone, so i went out an hour before dawn and moved her AND the 25 eggs under her!!!!
    so first off she has not sat on the eggs since i moved her, i put them all in a dog crate in a quiet dark room, she is sitting in the far back of the crate and the eggs in the middle, has not been on them all day long. so i assume they are now going to die.
    i also suspect it was just too late to move her successfully, but did not find her til a couple days ago and then could not decide what was best to do.

it is ok that the eggs wont make it, i am not trying to get more chicks, but i feel horrible for her. she is not moving at all not eating etc.

should i put her in the coop tonight with the others?

my other question is if they are sitting on a clutch of eggs but only lay an egg every day or 2, then how do they hatch all the chickens in a couple of days??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's OK that the eggs won't hatch. It can be a difficult time of year for raising chicks.
    I would put her back in the coop with the flock. If you free range, she may try to return to her nest site.
    More than one hen may have been laying in the nest. They don't start brooding until the clutch is complete - that's why all hatch in roughly 21 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by