OH darn....Impulse buy of 7 new chicks 3 hours ago.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by matt1898, Feb 27, 2013.

1. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    So Becca(my gf) and myself went to the TS in Asheboro to get her some more bedding for her birds, and it being chick days I knew they would have some there. Well dang it, they had a whole bin full of Rhode Island Reds and a bin of Americanas! I've been wanting some reds and had been planning on ordering at some point, but upon seeing them I couldn't hold out. So I bought 4 Americanas and 3 Reds. I've started them on medicated crumbles and water mixed with Sav-A-Chick probiotic. That stuff did wonders with my first batch of 15. Two had pasty butt shortly after arriving, so I cleaned them and put them on on the solution..no more paste. I did the same thing with Becca's birds right after getting them from TS for Valentines day, and they have never had an issue with it.

2. CarriesPeeps

CarriesPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Priest River, Idaho
    Pictures! New chicks are so cute.

3. Katari

Katari Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Yep, I can't walk into the farm store for 2 more weeks! I'm not allowed any more chicks, and I KNOW I'd give in and grab just a "couple more".

4. vtmom30

vtmom30 New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    [​IMG] HAHA I went to TSC today for hog feed and they had Buff Brahmas as the featured bird @ $1.99ea so of course I had to get 15.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Gosh my local TS only had Cornish chicks, no other breeds it was a letdown.

6. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    This is too funny:) I didn't have to wait for TS.... I gathered up some eggs and borrowed an incubator and voila 20 new chicks!!! It was so much fun! My husband was giving me the evil eye the whole time... we gave half of them to a dear friend and (yippey) keeping the rest!! Although, I would love to acquire some Easter Eggers... our TS chick days aren't for another month. I'll have to keep my eyes open:)

1 person likes this.
  7. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    I agree, pics would be great! I would put some up, I still can't figure out how to do that.[​IMG]

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I know about the huband evil eye- he he, but I hatched out some chicks then right under his nose put 6 more in an incubator- HA! in the spring after i get a roo I will let the hennies hatch some in the coop. Just looking for specialty breeds though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by