Oh, dear, Broody got scared off her nest for a day and a half - help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amyamanda, May 22, 2008.

1. amyamanda

amyamanda New Egg

May 18, 2008
    Are her eggs goners now?

She sat on them for 14 days and then DH mowed the lawn and she was beside herself. She left the nest and it was at least a day (24 hours) or a day and a half (36 hours) before she started sitting on them again. I turned the nest box in a different direction (from the mowed lawn, which she previously faced) and she seems to have accepted it as safe now.

It's been a month since my hennies were with a rooster, and I'm worried that the new eggs aren't even fertile anymore. The batch she was sitting on surely was.

Should I let her sit on the same eggs she abandoned and then went back to, or do I need to replace them with new eggs if I want chicks?

This is the first time we've done this, and the kids and I were so excited. But now I hear some of you hatch eggs from grocery stores, so they get significantly chilled, right? Though not in the middle of the incubation period. [​IMG]

Do those old eggs have any hope left in them, or should I just start her over with a new batch of (hopefully, fingers-crossed, still-fertile) eggs? If there is any hope, I want to leave them there, but I don't want to end up with exploding rotten eggs if I can avoid it.

FWIW, seven of my hens are Golden Comets, I have one Comet/Araucana mix, a Silver Wyandotte, and a "something else."

- Amanda in VT, where nighttime temps are getting down to the 40s still...

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Dont give up on them. I've heard some crazy stories about eggs and they still have hatched. Let her sit on them. If you are able to, candle them one night after it gets dark and you will know for sure if they are still alive.

3. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Don't give up I had my bator off for a 24 hours in the middle of incubation period and still had a hatch just late ! so leave her be , don't forget if they do arrive they will probably be late [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by