OH DEAR! Broody hen off her nest all night...any chance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChicknCharm, May 19, 2010.

1. ChicknCharm

ChicknCharm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Alpine
    Hello Friends:
    We went to let our chickens this morning and found that our broody banty somehow got off her confined nest and did not get back in. She was off her eggs for at least 12 hours. It warm and humid here....the hen house was hot last night when I went it and full of body warmth from the general poultry populace.

Just hoping to hear there may be chance. She want right back on the nest and huddled down, did not pitch out any eggs. My daughter said the eggs did feel warm still.

Any hope??? This happened to us before, but only for about 3 hours, and all of those hatched great.

2. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    One of my broody hen's abandoned her eggs one night and "someone(not sure which chicken did this)...actually pecked an egg almost completely open and of course there was lots of blood all over and a dead chick![​IMG] I immediately took the 3 undamaged but cold eggs inside and plopped them in the bator. They had blood on them and I didn't want to risk stuffing them under one of my other broodies....so anyway....I was expecting NOTHING...but to my surprise ALL 3 Hatched!!![​IMG] So there's always hope! BTW...that same broody changed her mind again! the next day a stole my giant cochin girl's nest of eggs so I divided the eggs and gave 4 to each hen and now they are Both New Proud Mama's of 8 healthy babies!!! Silly Chickens! Go Figure![​IMG]

3. ChicknCharm

ChicknCharm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Alpine
    THANK YOU for that bit of hope. I am just worried because it was such a long time. My girls are pretty upset, it could be someone closed the broody cage door when doing the evening chores and did not look to see if she went back in after a broody break. We will maintain hope.

Do you think I should candle the eggs after she has warmed them up a bit?

Do you think it may be a delayed hatch?

I keep asking questions to increase my odds for a hatch....always hopeful!!!!

That is a wonderful hatching against the odds story.

Last edited: May 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by