Oh dear, do I have a roo? Update!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by porteryork, Jan 31, 2009.

1. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Here are my two new silkies. See the comb on the one on the left? Do I have a roo and a pullet?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I would have to say it looks like a roo to me if the one beside it is the same age

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think it's far too soon to tell.... it could be that it simply has a single comb and therefore appears larger. I would wait a few more weeks and post better straight on shots [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Agreed. TSTT

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Give them some time it could go either way. They are so hard to sex I had a single combed silkie who I could never figure out if he was a roo or pullet. Didnt figure it out till he was 6 months and crowing....

6. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    So Lily (my dog) and I hear this noise this morning. It sounds like when the car is already running and you still crank it. Lily looks at me like..."What?" I look in the dining room and there is the little bugger looking out of the brooder at me....he opens his little beak and .....there it goes again! He is a he!

7. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    congratz if you were looking for a roo you can raise them to breed now and have silkies all over the place YaY

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I love to read people's descriptions of their roo's first attempts at crowing. My SO (the country boy) thought our dog was choking to death when he first heard my roo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by