oh dear..help ASAP!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalloverabh, Jun 26, 2010.

1. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

my mum says i have to put my week old and 2 week old ducklings in the garage because they were making my bedroom smell [​IMG] are they even old enough to go into the garage? its summer here and they have a 60watt heat lamp. i wish they could stay! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    How cold is it at night? Can you open your bedroom windows during the day to air out your room so the smell isn't overpowering and offensive to your mum?
    She is just concerned for your health and the cleanliness of her home.

If they are kept in a secure brooder and they have their heat lamp, I think they would be alright. Duckes tolerate cold much btter than heat - within reason.

If they huddle together near the heat lamp, they are chilly and maybe need a stronger bulb or the heat source a little closer to them. If they spread out far away from the heat lamp, they are too warm and need the heat a little farther away. If they are running around in between the warm and cool spots, then they are just right.

Or, if you can keep the brooder drier and not smelly, maybe your mum will let you keep them in your room another week or 2? Can you get wood shavings? Here we get them in a bale shaped plastic bag. Shavings reduce odor immensely, and can be spread under the bushes an in the flower beds or composted when you clean out the brooder to use as mulch (bonus- the mulch keeps weeds down).
    Clean wet shavings out daily.

Also, you can reduce the wet mess by taking a plastic gallon jug an cutting a window in one side big enough for the ducklings to stick their heads in. fill with water and set in a large pan to collect any spills. The ducklings can wash their faces and the wet mess is reduced. Empty the spill pan daily when you change the water in the jug.

I know how hard it is to keep ducks clean as they are messy little guys, but maybe this will help you.

If mum stands firm and says no to keeping them in the house any more, you should still play with them a lot to keep them tame and focused on you. When they are left to their own entertainment, they become all duck and don't care so much bout people. So play with your ducklings daily.

3. animalloverabh

thank you, this helped alot, i will try the jug container thing.
    she said no still, and i will come see them after school and straight away in the morning.
    it gets to about 10-15 degrees at night, so its a little cold, but they are in a big cardborad box with the heat lamp, and this lamp cant take any higher then 60watt. will the 2 week one look after the week old ones?

4. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Where do you live?

10-15 degrees is not a little cold, that's below freezing! Unless I read it wrong? [​IMG]

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We brood our ducklings in the garage after the first two weeks and they did fine (ours are 8 weeks old now). We like to use hay/straw on the floor of their brooder. They like the soft surface to lay on and it isn't too hard to turn the hay and add more or just clean it out. Like someone has already said we keep the waterer in a pan that catches the drips so the straw near the pan stays pretty dry. I go out every morning on my way to work and feed them their treats and they are let into our yard for supervised swims daily. Even though I can't spend as much time with them when they are in the garage the daily swim and treats has kept them calm around us.

Good luck with your messy, lovely pets! [​IMG]

6. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think the poster lives in England. And that is probably 10-15 degrees celsius meaning 50-60 degrees fahrenheight.

7. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:i read it again too, raiquee.
    she is in linconshire, england.
    they use celsius not fahrenheit like in the states.
    i have to check on the conversion.
    but i think it is like 50 degrees fahrenheit.
    lemme check.

8. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:thanks sycolinwoodschickens.
    [​IMG]

9. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Ahhh thank you [​IMG] I think 50-60 with the heat lamp would be fine, what do you guys think?

10. animalloverabh

i meant 10 to 15c. its not below freezing lol
    yes i live in england

would tea towels work?
    and do you give ducklings frozen peas or what? ( yes it was a little random but i just thought of it lol )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by