Oh dear, I got a rabbit, now what? (pics)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by homesteadmomma, Jun 11, 2011.

1. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    So while browsing rural king for feed and free popcorn, not chicks (they just had guineas, but I swear I wasn't going to get any chicks), I found these cute little bunnies. We had just lost our dog and the kids were asking for another one nearly every day. I can't really see paying to feed a dog that just poops right where I normally walk and harasses the chickens. So here I am staring at these little bunnies and one comes right up to the door and looks at me with those cute red eyes, like please take me home. Being the sucker that I am, I brought one home. But I am totally clueless on raising a rabbit. I have no idea how old it is, what kind it is, and if it's just going to be another animal to clean up after that doesn't provide some sort of service (it will stay no matter). So here I'm hoping that with a picture you might be able to tell me a little about what I need to do with this little furball. It is currently in a rabbit hutch that I used for transporting chicks, with a wire floor. Does it need to have some type of bedding or can it safely live on wire? It also has rabbit pellets designed for growing rabbits. I assume that this is a baby, although I have no real way of knowing. I also chipped off some of the trophy rock (mineral/salt block). I'm not sure if it needs it, so I just have it ready if someone tells me it's ok. I assume that it will not grow antlers [​IMG] I also have a nipple waterer that the chicks never figured out. It has been eating and drinking, and it likes to be held and pet. I really hope this is good news, and maybe will mean I end up with a friendly rabbit. How much does it need fed? I have no idea how much it weighs, I'm horrible at guessing. Less than our 4 month old chickens, but more than a roll of paper towel (see how horrible is that?!) How do I litter train this little guy (I assume it's a boy, because I seem to like to pick up males at Rural King)? Can I put it in with the chickens during the day while we are outside? I don't have access to hay and I'm not spending $5 for that tiny bag of hay that they sell for rabbits. I'm also not sure buying a full bale for one rabbit is worth it. So can I feed it grass and greens from the garden? Any no no's for rabbits? Too many questions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I would get him a some good rabbit pellets (the Small World et rabbit feed from walmart is fine) for now I would free feed him on the pellets. He look young so no greens at all other than hay. Keep him on the wire floor he will be fine and it's much easier to clean. The salt minral block is'nt needed and will just rust the cage wire. I never bother with litter training. I don't like to put rabbits with chickens for saftey. Give him dried paypa[sp] as a treat and also to prevent hairballs. I think that is all I ould do for now. He looks like he might be an angora cross.

3. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    Nawww what a cute little hopper! I haven't had a bunny since I was a kid, ours used to live indoors like a cat. He was litter trained. Sorry I'm no help with advice!
    [​IMG]

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We feed our bunny rabbit pellets. I get mine at Agway, but you can find good pellets at Wal-mart. They just cost a little more, but it's better than buying too much and having it go stale or moldy. I have a gravity-type feeder on the side of the hutch I just keep full. I think leaving food out for free choice is the best, our bunny eats all day.

Our bunny is outside, and the kids are always picking grass and leaves and feeding it to the bunny. Ours isn't picky in any way about the greens he eats. He particularly likes dandelions. lol

I do buy alfalfa cubes for ours through the winter. They will eat hay, but I think the alfalfa is better. Those little bags are pricey, but they do last a good while. Our bunny particularly like the leaf lettuce and raddichio-type lettuce. Carrots, of course.

I have a little mineral lick attached in his cage. It's just a little brown circle. I think it was like, $0.59 at the Agway. He goes through one of those every few months.

We also provide wood sticks for him to chew. Our bunny is a wood chewer. If we don't keep stuff in the pen for him constantly, he'll chew the wood in his hutch or the coating off his cage bars.

As for providing a service, if you have a garden or flowers of any kind, rabbit manure is awesome for fertilizer. We collect it and my husband tills it in my flowerbeds at the end of the season. This is the second year we've done it and my flowers are just gorgeous this year. No more Miracle Grow for me.

Anyway - good luck with your new addition! He/she is absolutely adorable!

Blessings-
    Em

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never owned a rabbit, but was recently considering it and read up on them a bit. Learned they all need something like the wood stick to chew, as their teeth (or front teeth, I forget) grow continuously and they keep them trimmed this way. I believe they also need some sort of hay in addition to rabbit pellets, and I know they can get overweight. I'm sure the OP has learned all this and more via Google or similar by now, though.

6. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Yes I stayed up all night reading up on rabbits. I was scared that I would kill it off in no time flat. He seems pretty content this morning, although, he has moved all of his food out of his food dish and to the floor in the opposite corner and poops on his food dish [​IMG] I was going to let him out in the backyard for a bit of bunny time, but wasn't sure if he would eat something he shouldn't. So for now he is in a 24x24 cage on the living room floor and I will let him have free run of the living room a few times each day while I work on an outdoor pen for him to run around in. Thanks for everyone's help!

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    It is definatley worth buying a bale of hay. And I feed all my rabbits no matter age free choice pellets and hay and when they are over 6 months I give them 1 cup of apple lettuce and whatever else is in hand

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree it's well worth it to get him some good grass hay, or oat or timothy. I don't feed alfalfa, it's got way more calcium and protein then adult rabbits need. Rabbit's do have delicate digestive systems and do best with a high fiber diet. My baby rabbit's get free choice pellets and all they grass hay they will eat, sometimes a little alfalfa as a treat. Once they hit about 6 months old I put them on a timothy hay pellet and they get about a 1/4 cup a day, sometimes I mix in a handful of oatmeal. This is for dwarf rabbits, standards will need a bit more. But they always have hay in front of them. They nibble all day long, it won't make them fat like to much pellets will, helps keep their teeth in good shape and keeps that gut moving.

They are easy to litter box train and it makes cage cleaning so easy. I just put some of their poop's in the litter box and a bit of bedding they've already wet on. They pick it up really fast and then all you do is clean that out couple times a day. The rest of the cage stays nice and clean and for me it's a lot easier then changing the whole tray.

Bunnies can be kept on wire but they do appreciate something to rest on. A piece of wood doubles as something to chew on. Some folk's use a ceramic tile or grass mats.

I don't use salt blocks either. If they are getting their pellet's it's really not necessary.

Some daily greens from the garden are fine, just introduce them slowly at first.

He's very cute, I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of him!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He has the smushed face of a netherland, and he is furry, so I am leaning towards says Jersey Woolie. Looks an awful lot like the ones we just saw this morning. Alfalfa hay can cause urinary problems. Timothy hay is best for their digestive system and can be bought in bags at Petco and PetSmart, Walmart as well.

Here is a link for a list of foods NOT to feed your bunny:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bad-Rabbt-Food-What-NOT-To-Feed-Your-Bunny

Mine are on a wire floor over rubbermaid containers. People actually buy the poop because it can used immediately as manure. Mine get plenty of time in the house for resting time, but mine are a large breed, so the wire floor is no problem.

Now for making sure you have the right feed, check your bunnies bottom and his poop. If it is too wet, you will need to change the feed. Because their digestive systems are delicate, some bunnies need different feed. Limit treats so they eat what they need to stay healthy.

If your bunny is in the house and he starts TOTALLY freaking out, don;t worry, that means he is happy and that behavior is called binking. You tube it - it's FUNNY! If he thumps his back feet really hard, he is irritated.

They DO need wood to chew on - their teeth never stop growing. I'll more later if I think of anything!

10. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    Quote:I do not agree with this list I feed my rabbits lettuce,cabbage and some hemlock in the winter from our wreath we live in a thick hemlock

area and don't feed other than the wreath just to get rid of it also clover has been a favorite of my rabbits since I got my first bunny when I was 5

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by