Oh Dear I may not be normal

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walkswithdog, Apr 24, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I was walking through the yard a few minutes ago and realized (gasp) that some people might not consider walking up the yard, calling, talking to and whistling at a group of chicks, poults and a duckling particularly normal.

Four BBS Rocks, a PR, seven poults and a crested duckling, who are all around a week of age were following along with various degrees of success - the lawn REALLY needs mowing.

And I reflected that my mother would not understand the entire process, nor the talking to them, nor the degree of worry and satisfaction as they all managed their first real long walk.

Duckbutt has a tendency to plop down and focus on dandelions. Tina always lags behind, Marin and Trace and Tag are the poults that tend to range the furthest and freak me out. And Darby and Rolf keep running up to get under me. Little W my PR - he's George's son... soo... he's always nearby and hates getting stuck in high grasses.

Darby doesn't want anything much to do with me at the brooder but once outside it's momma all the way.

And very few people outside this group would understand that each is different, that they have names and personalities and that they ARE different from one another. That you can tell them apart if you spend... well wayyyyy too much time with them.

I spent my childhood wishing I could be the character in my favorite movie of all time. And while I can't get them to speak English, when I have their trust and affection and they come when they're called, and run to me if they're frightened and call to me when they're stuck. I figure I've gotten about as close as a human can get. I might not be Doolittle but I think he'd approve.

They didn't think he was normal either.

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    oh being normal is sooo overrated! I think it is wonderful the relationship you have with your babies! People outside the chicken relm don't understand! I tell my sister "it's a chicken thing, you wouldn't understand"! She thinks I am a nerd!LOL [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You're 100% normal on BYC!

4. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Last summer, I started my poultry quest. I had went to the PO and picked up my RIR chicks then my cell rang. It was a friend of mine. She said what is making that sound. I told her about the chickens. She said why on earth would you get chickens for. I didn't like the sound in her voice as she ask, so being me I responded with --- I like chickens as much as you like to go out to eat (which is every meal to her). We are still friends but she doen't ask me about my poultry anymore.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'm glad you all are here or I'd have to suffer the stares and slings and arrows of non-chicken folk alone. I'm retired, they keep me company, keep me busy and entertain me. And it's all worth it.

I wandered pretty far in life to end up back where my heart always was, growing things and being with the animals.

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

You are SO normal [​IMG]
    And I hear ya for sure.
    Just for the record... tonight Channel 6 at 5, 6 and 11 is my story about the Ponzi schemer client of mine... and in the story... I HAD TO take the reporter out to see my poultry, she & the camera gal just loved loved loved them! So... there I am.. ON CAMERA.. cooing and talking to my turkeys & chickens.

And if during the interview you hear peeping & cheeping... well thats the 13 chickies in my living room! They were mostly quiet during the taping.. but it was a 2 hour interview they peeped up plenty of times!

I'm glad you got to where you want to be... Charlottes Web was my favorite, and I'm getting darn close too [​IMG]

7. chickndoglover

chickndoglover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    For 30 years I have had dogs and my whole life revolved around dogs and many people thought I was nuts then. Now, I still love my dogs but I have gotten so much into my chickens and ducks, that they totally think I have left reality! I have named them all, I have 4 coops, and I am constantly looking for houses, material, supplies, the most fun is sitting in the yard watching them all doing their little chicken things! They are soooo much fun.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by