Oh dear, I think I may have a SLW Roo... Thoughts PLEASE!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aggielady, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Girl

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Boy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. aggielady

aggielady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Texas
    I believe I am among the many posts I have read that fear they may have a roo in the hen house. [​IMG]
    I'm aware these inquiries usually ends up in a confirmed roo but I am still holding out hope because the signs are not very prominent...?

I bought two Silver Laced Wyandottes a month ago. They were a month old.
    Now at two months, one (my fave) "Pepper" has a slightly larger wattle than the other. Their bodies are the same size and shape though.
    It seems when someone suspects a roo it tends to be the case, however when I looked at pics of someone else's 3 month old Wyandotte roo, it had a full blown wattle and comb. I know they grow fast, but I would think it would be more obvious by now if it were to look like that in 2-3 weeks. Thoughts?? Please?

"Pepper" is the one I'm concerned about and I included a picture of the my other pullet "Rosemary" for comparison. Their wattle looks larger from certain angles in the pictures than in person so I took several angles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At 2 months I think you have 2 pullets. Are the legs of one especially thicker than the other?

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Pepper looks like a girl to me. My GLW pullet looked very similar at the same age.

4. aggielady

Oct 3, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]I sure hope you are right! I had to run outside to check their legs and if they are slightly thicker, its not really obvious. I did notice a slight difference in their tails while I was out there- Pepper's tail slightly slopes up and Rosemary's tail slightly slopes down. Is that telling at this age?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Agree-looks like a pullet.

6. aggielady

Oct 3, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks PeakyBeaky! I'm so relieved.

7. aggielady

Oct 3, 2013
    Texas
    For those on the edge of your seats, rest assured that Miss Pepper is in fact a girl- she was the first to mature and the first to lay in fact! She gives us a beautiful speckled brown egg every day [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here she is in action and all grown up. Thanks again for the reassurance everyone! She's changed so much from her pictures above- aww!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Congrats on the hen and celebrate with a nice omelet. :)

9. aggielady

Oct 3, 2013
    Texas
    Thank you very much! My first ones were fried so I could taste the egg better but I can't wait to try the omelette - YUM!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thank you for the update--I sometimes wonder how things turned out, and it's always good to look back and see the baby pic vs the adult pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by