Oh dear. I'll take it, but I don't know what to do with a DUCKLING....

chickensarefamily2me

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
Argyle, Texas
Oh my... Two days ago, I was waiting for Dad to call me from Austin. Instead, he returned home. Pa didn't want him visiting this week. At eight-thirty, we heard a knock on the door. One of Dad's customers from his business was standing at the door, a worried look on her face.

"Hi, Kyle. Can we ask a favor?"

"That depends?" My Dad was uneasy; he didn't think anyone knew where he lived.

"Well, we were driving down the highway, and we saw something crossing the road. It was a duckling-"

I push past Dad, eager to see the little animal.

"We don't have any ducks..." Dad told them.

I scooped up the little dear, and it instantly nibbled my cheek. It nibbled on my fingers, and nuzzled my hair. I was bonded with the cutie already.

"Well, we searched for a while to find it's family, but we didn't find any trace. Can you take it? We figured this was the best place..."

"Aww... Dad! It has no family. Please! Can we take it?" I was begging, but it was such a sweetie. I shove the little duckling into Dad's face, and he smiles.

"Well, if it has no family..."

I now have a duckling. The Moons hand me money for taking the animal, to feed it, care for it, etc.

This little dear is named Gretrude, after a goose that my Dad had as a kid. She follows me around, and swims in my bathtub. The reason I am submitting this, is because she gets along just fine with my youngest chicks.

Sweet story! Good luck with your little duckling! I know there are lots of people on this website that have ducks, so you can surely learn alot from BYC!

Lots of duck people........

OH, and welcome from OHIO!
welcome-byc.gif

love.gif
baby ducklings are the best. I have about 30 muscovy ducklings right now with 3 broody muscovy moms and I took 4 of them just to hand raise/brood in the house. Mine are with a few chicks too and they all get along great!

Good for you for taking the duckling-they're wonderful.
You will find some challenges brooding the duckling with the chicks, though. Ducklings tend to wet the brooder very quickly.
I know you probably don't want to hear this, BUT, if possible, your new addition would do very well with another duckling. Ducks are crazy flock oriented and tend to need to be with their own kind.
Trust me, 2 ducklings are no worse than 1 duckling.
smile.png

Heeheehee, well, the little dear unfortuantly will not have any friends besides chicks. Dad has put his foot down. Here are some photos. Can anyone help me identify her breed?

Here she is nestled in my lap.
65474_dscn0296.jpg

Here she is posing for a head shot.
love.gif
Am I cute enough??
65474_dscn0297.jpg

Here she is in the bathtub. Swim, Gertrude, Swim!!!
clap.gif

65474_dscn0298.jpg

She's very interested in the computer mouse icon.
65474_dscn0299.jpg

I will submit more photos after her nap. She followed me from the bathroom to the kitchen to my room on foot. Exhausted duckling!

Quote:
Oh, how I wish I could!!! But she will fly the coop eventually. She may be going to my Uncles pond when she's older. Just a few miles away but still....
hit.gif
:hit

Oh, I know. That will be a sad day. But thank goodness you have access to a pond. I'm a city dweller and wouldn't have any options for a duck.

Back
Top Bottom