Oh dear- intestinal worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, Sep 18, 2011.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    So I made a little roost on top of the nesting boxes for my EE's, Aspen and Quinn, because when they were younger they would get peck mercilessly by my older hens. Now they're more incorporated with the flock but they still have the habit of sleeping on top of the boxes.

And because they sleep on the boxes, there are lots of little presents on the top that I have to scrape off often. So today I was doing then when I noticed something very peculiar in one of the turds: worms. I know how to spot them, but I don't really know how to treat them. Any ideas? Aspen and Quinn are both 8 months old.

BTW, I think it's Aspen because she always sleeps on the right side of the roost and I found the worm-infested poop towards the right side.

2. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm dealing with this as well.... was left a wormy poopy "gift" on my doorstep this morning.

I'm off to the store to get some worming treatment today, but I read that by the time you see worms in the poop it means it's already a pretty bad infestation.

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    B4 u treat, are you sure they are worms from the intestine? cause depending on how long the poop was sitting out, the more chances that it is from flys or other bugs.
    Let us know then a med can be suggested. and for dosing, do u know the birds weight?

Best Wishes,
    Laura

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:Oh no... do you know where I can get chicken worming treatment? I don't recall ever seeing it at a feed store... And I hope I don't have to go to the vet- Aspen just to off antibiotics for a kidney infection...

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Oh no... do you know where I can get chicken worming treatment? I don't recall ever seeing it at a feed store... And I hope I don't have to go to the vet- Aspen just to off antibiotics for a kidney infection...

No need to go to the vet. Go to your feed store and see if they have Valbazen. Dose them orally 1/2 cc for standard size chickens, 1/4cc for bantams. Repeat in 10 days.

You can also use Eprinex pour on. Same dosage as above but apply to the skin between the wings. It will be absorbed through the skin and will also take care of mites on the birds.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I ended up getting a liquid. You cut off their acccess to water for a couple of hours before nightfall, then put a container of the medicated water in the coop/run with them first thing in the morning and lock 'em up with it until it's finished (or after 8 hours if they don't finish it). In the meantime, no vege scraps or any other way for the to get hydration.... just dry commercial feed, and the medicated water.

The best bit is no withholding period on the eggs. :)

Now I also have to worm the cat, the kids, and myself. *sigh*

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:I know they gave you Wazine but you really need to get Valbazen down at the farm supply or feed store. Wazine will only kill the adult round worm (actually I think it only paralyzes them). Chickens have all kinds of internal parasites and Valbazen gets them all. No worry about a mass die off because it starves the beasties off over several days. Use the dosage the poster mentioned above. I'm serious, the Wazine is practically useless and they'll be wormed up again in no time.

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    By the way, if the worm looks anything like a maggot you have a different problem all together and it's an emergency situation so let us know.

9. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I just saw this post because I think one of my girls has worms. Not meaning to hijack at all. Am going to post my own thread. I thought I would post a pic of what I found. I am guessing the tiny rice looking things are some type of worm.

Different angles of same picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you,
    Chris

10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I've seen plenty of those. Those are tapeworms. They are little tapeworm segments. Do the Valbazen treatment recommended here and repeat in 7-10 days. If you still see them in the same time after the second dose, do it one more time. It took awhile to get rid of mine. I've been putting a lot of sand in the run and I think that's helping. Tapeworms NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by