Oh dear Opossum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickiKat, Oct 16, 2011.

1. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    So I'm sitting here on the internet after dinner having a quiet night. Suddenly I hear the pop of a .22.... Oh dear!! Go out to find DH in the yard with an Opossum on the fence of the run. First let me tell you the love I have for this man. He is called Scout Master Steve because he is always in the right place at the right time doing the right thing. Come to find out he was out playing with the outdoor cat and saw something moving under the coop. He got the flashlight and the .22 pistol and went out to see what was there. Oh dear Opossum. He hits it with the .22 but that gun is nearly like a pop gun, really old. Then he gets the 380 and as I am watching I see he is shooting below the buggers head. So he goes in and gets the shotgun.... Boom, it's off the fence writhing like a son of a gun.... He looked like he was nearly turned inside out. All chickens are accounted for and safe. Ramp is up. Going to Orschelns tomorrow to get a solar electric fence deal. I knew there could be trouble when I left for work the other morning and saw an Opossum and a Skunk.... Well, we are going to nip that in the bud..... We are zero tolerance for predators in this yard!!

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Good job glad your husband got him! [​IMG]

3. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    While you were posting, I shot two of the little buggers about 30 minutes apart. Both up on the run fence. Both dumb enough to stay still while I reloaded when I missed the first shots on both of them.[​IMG]

Dave

4. ChickiKat

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Haha.. Funny how they play possum. When Steve was going in to get the shotgun, I had the flashlight trained on the guy and I was telling him to go ahead and play possum because he had done wrong...Glad you got yours!!

5. ChickiKat

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Good Gosh.. We now have Steve 3 - Opossum 0......... Went out just to be curious and saw the beady eyes of two more.....

6. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    LOL, Steve wins. But I think we both have more around.

Dave

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Glad he got him. Those buggers are terrible.

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    A 160 sized conibear trap in a coni box works well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by