Oh dear... Roo behavior in my chicks? Advice needed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by atomicfruit, Apr 4, 2012.

1. atomicfruit

atomicfruit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    SD County
    Hello.. I'm new at chicken raising and had a question regarding sexing chicks.. I know it's nearly impossible. I have seven, 5 week old chicks.. all different breeds. I caught my silkie chick and polich chick engaged in mock battle! They hopped at each other, chest to chest like they were trying to spur each other. is this only male behavior? Do female chicks do this too? I soooooo want them to be hens, otherwise I have to re-home them.

Thanks!

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Too early to panic, female chicks do that too!

3. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Hahaha, I am in the same situation. I have 4 chicks, hoping they are all hens as I dont want the trouble of the rooster (noise, hen abuse, aggression, fertile eggs, etc.).
    The place I got them said he would by them bak from me if they are boys, but my kids are attached and i dont want to have to. I wondered too if certain behavior is indicitave of roo's.........my little mille fleur is fiesty, and when given space to roam/play she spends most of her time chest bumping, challenging, and jumping up with her feet at the other hens, especially if they are eating (its like she wants it all for her self!) Its funny, because she is the tinyest of them all, but fiesty never the less. Im crossing my fingers she isnt a HE! She is my fav!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by