Oh dear, what is THIS?????

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
I faithfully refresh the birdbath under our oaks when I clean the chicken coop every morning. Lately, the birdbath has had all manner of weird stuff in it - shells from peanuts, turquoise-colored stones that look like they came from an aquarium. Today I found burger wrappers and plastic in it. Bizarre! I have seen the crows hanging out there so I suspect much of this stuff is coming from them. But worse, much worse, I found this:
IMG_2215.jpg

It looks like the decapitated head of a nestling. A crow nestling? Why would they deposit their own in a bird bath?

Does anyone have a clue about this?

Last edited:
That is pretty gruesome! I can't quite make heads or tails of it, except yeah, the head and some limbs in the first glob. Eww. Did you do a little more opening up to see if it was a developing embryo when it fell out of the nest or if it'd hatched?

I don’t think this fell from a tree. I think it was placed in the birdbath, most likely by a crow. It seems large for a ground bird nestling so I think it must be from a crow. Unless they got hold of a duckling? Lots of ducks in our area right now.

I have never seen anything like this.

Last edited:
I don’t think this fell from a neat. I think it was placed in the birdbath, most likely by a crow. It seems large for a ground bird nestling so I think it must be from a crow. Unless they got hold of a duckling? Lots of ducks in our area right now.

I have never seen anything like this.
My first thought was duck head.. Mafia Crows? (Don't they call a flock of them a 'Murder of Crows"?) :)

Raccoons like to wash their food in water, when available. Maybe it was doing that and the crows chased it away.
It would have been in broad daylight, though, because I had refreshed the bird bath in the morning and saw this in the early evening. I've never seen a raccoon in our neighborhood in broad daylight, not that it couldn't be so, of course.

I haven't gone out there yet this morning. Afraid of what else I might find. :eek:

I'm going with house cat for my guess on that grossness. The cat puked at the bird bath where it had gone to drink with its upset stomach...

It would have been in broad daylight, though, because I had refreshed the bird bath in the morning and saw this in the early evening. I've never seen a raccoon in our neighborhood in broad daylight, not that it couldn't be so, of course.

I haven't gone out there yet this morning. Afraid of what else I might find. :eek:

Especially this time of year, if its a raccoon, it would be a female. A female with hungry kits in a nest or den somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom